Sep 7, 2015

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Immediately after reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone I started reading the next book in the series. I had a much harder time reading Chamber of Secrets for many different reasons.


 All Harry Potter wants is to get away from the Dursleys and go back to Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby - who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects... Harry Potter himself.


Harry Potter is back at Hogwarts for his second year despite being warned not to go back. Harry is still the same smart, brave, curious kid he was in the first book. He learns some new stuff about himself that causes him to question things.

This book was a lot slower for me and it took me much longer to finish it than it probably should have. I'm not sure what it was but a lot of the events in the book felt like filler to me. I hate to say that but a lot of the times there is a book in a series that kind of fills the void before things get real good. Now there was some stuff that happened that I think sets up for the next books but a lot of the other stuff just didn't move along quick enough for me.

One thing I did like was the relationship development between Ron, Harry and Hermione. Ron and Harry hit it off right away in the first book but they didn't so much enjoy Hermione's company at first. In this one they really start to appreciate her book smarts and company in general. Me being a Hermione fan was glad about that because Ron could be a bit of a brat to her in the first book.

I wish there had been more Fred and George in this book. They are my favorite and they weren't as present in this book. Ginny hasn't grown on me yet but she's also a really young character in this book so I have a feeling by the next few books I will start to like her better.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is getting 3 out of 5 birds from me. Despite it being a slow read I still intend to keep reading this series because I've heard the books get much better after this one. Also I am really excited to read the third book because it's my favorite movie in the series. I'd definitely say start reading these books if you haven't already because they are enjoyable. 



No comments:

Post a Comment