Aug 10, 2015

Wake

I can't remember when I first read Wake but I remember really enjoying it. The story stuck with me. It was the book that made me a fan of Lisa McMann and her lyrical way of writing. I'm glad I decided to reread Wake and finally finish the series.


 For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.


Janie gets sucked into people's dreams. It's a real pain in the ass and nothing of all that much interest to Janie until she is sucked into someones nightmare.

Janie doesn't have the best life. Her mom drinks way to much. Aside from her best friend Carrie she pretty much keeps to herself. I didn't connect to Janie very much in this book but that didn't mean I didn't like her as a character. I really liked Janie. I think had this book not been written in a very distant perspective I totally would have connected with her. But the thing about this book was that distant narration is what makes this book so good. It gives the story the perfect feel for the story that is being told.

The way this book is written is an interesting way to tell Janie's story. I am not the biggest fan of third person because I never feel very connected to the characters when a story is told in third person. The way Lisa McMann writes it though draws you into the story so much that you can look past not feeling very connected with the main character. One big thing that I loved about this book was that Janie could be in another room and there would be insight into what another character was doing. There was something about that that really drew me in.

As far as guys go I felt pretty indifferent towards Cabel. I liked him but I didn't feel any attachment to him. It's weird because I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters in this book, yet I loved the story. Typically when I feel indifferent to character or many in the story it just ruins it for me. But that isn't the case with this book. I read it quick because it's one of those stories that keeps moving along and makes you want to keep reading.

Wake is a good book that is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me. I really enjoyed this story and I love the dream aspect to this book and how it affects Janie. It's a really interesting take. Though there isn't much connection to the characters in this first book I still really enjoyed it and it left me wanting the next book right away. I would definitely recommend it to people.



No comments:

Post a Comment