Aug 19, 2015

The Improbable Theory of Ana & Zak

I had no idea about this great book. I hadn't seen it anywhere until stumbling upon it at my local bookstore. It was the only copy there and I knew from the moment I saw the cover it was a book I was going to like.


 It all begins when Ana Watson's little brother, Clayton, secretly ditches the quiz bowl semifinals to go to the Washingcon sci-fi convention on what should have been a normal, résumé-building school trip.

If slacker Zak Duquette hadn't talked up the geek fan fest so much, maybe Clayton wouldn't have broken nearly every school rule or jeopardized Ana’s last shot at freedom from her uptight parents.

Now, teaming up with Duquette is the only way for Ana to chase down Clayton in the sea of orcs, zombies, bikini-clad princesses, Trekkies, and Smurfs. After all, one does not simply walk into Washingcon.

But in spite of Zak's devil-may-care attitude, he has his own reasons for being as lost as Ana-and Ana may have more in common with him than she thinks. Ana and Zak certainly don’t expect the long crazy night, which begins as a nerdfighter manhunt, to transform into so much more…


Captain of her high schools quiz bowl team Ana is not only intelligent but she's a rule follower terrified of screwing up and dealing with the consequences from her parents. Zak a total geektastic care free slacker. Combine them and a sci-fi convention you bet the night just took a turn for crazy.


Ana and Zak are two polar opposite people who are pulled together for one night. I loved these two characters. I loved the character development they went through over the course of this book. Ana does all and everything to impress her parents who never seem interested in her. She's so afraid of screwing up that she simply doesn't allow herself to. Ana comes off as stuck up sometimes but really she's so stressed out and afraid that she puts up these defenses that make her seem unapproachable. It takes a while but once readers see the real Ana there's a lot there to like.

Zak Duquette might be one of the wittiest dorks of all dorks. And by dork I mean a new favorite character. I'm a sucker for characters like Zak. He's kind of an idiot but an idiot with a big heart who's whole life is centered by knowing he'll get to go to Washingcon every year.  I loved Zak and always found myself happy when it went back to a chapter told from his point of view.

This book is an overload of awesome. I wish there were more books like this. I loved that this is set at a scifi convention and I love all the chaos that comes out of trying to find Ana's little brother. It was such a fun read, but it still had it's moments of realness amongst all the fun and crazy situations.

I haven't ever read anything from this author but I really enjoyed his style of writing. I definietly want to read more from him because this book was so good. The Improbable Theory of Ana & Zak is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. Super fun book with awesome character development and crap load of geeky references that will have you smiling! I would recommend this book to everyone.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun read lots of goofy action, maybe a little too goofy, and some character growth. It's a fun rump through a weekend toward the senior year.

    Click here for Movers in San Antonio information

    ReplyDelete