Aug 4, 2015

Sing Me To Sleep

Having found Sing Me To Sleep I didn't really know all that much about it. I remember seeing the cover some place. It was one of those covers that draws your attention, and because of that I bought the book. The story inside wasn't what I was expecting and at first I wasn't even sure I was going to like this book.


 THE TRANSFORMATION
Beth has always been "The Beast",that's what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth's only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she's selected to be her choir's soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth's choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek's untethered passion,for music, and for Beth, leaves her breathless. Because in Derek's eyes? She's not The Beast, she's The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek's been hiding a dark secret from her that could shatter everything.



Beth is a beast. From the moment she was born she's been told she is ugly. Tall, skinny, acne ridden, terrible vision she's known as the beast at her school. When she gets a makeover and is suddenly beautiful she can't shake what's she's believed forever--that she's ugly.

It's really hard not to feel sorry for Beth. She is treated like crap from the moment we are introduced to her. But despite feeling sorry for her I could never connect with her. She has accepted she's a beast, even when she is beautiful she see's herself as a beast. It's what she knows. She doesn't see the beauty that she is. Because of this, because she is still so convinced she is ugly, it made me hate her relationship with Derek. She should never have gotten involved with anyone until she figured herself out. She let herself be pushed and pulled around and it drove me insane.

Derek you like at first...and then it goes down hill the more involved he and Beth get. It's obvious he is keeping something big from Beth. It's not hard to pick up. But Beth is so blinded by the need for him to not let her go that she doesn't see the signs. Let's him control her so she doesn't find out. Granted you can understand it a little bit, but it doesn't make it right what he did. 

Scott was the only character that I kind of liked. Even he drove me nuts. Dude got cocky and cocky is not something desirable. Even he got pushy with Beth and I wanted to deck him a few times. Like seriously boys where are your manners? 

This book had me frustrated a lot. There were times when I wondered why I was still reading, but something kept me going. I'm glad I finished this book because the ending was worth it. The ending made me realize the point of everything that happened in this book, despite it being frustrating. There was something touching about the way this book was wrapped up and it bumped up my rating.

One thing I think is worth mentioning is the way bullying is presented in this book. It shows you how harsh it is and how far people will take it. It's a wake up call for those who don't realize how bullying can effect someone. It really screws with your head and I liked that Angela Morrison wasn't afraid to write honestly about it.

Sing Me To Sleep is getting 3 out of 5 birds from me! This wasn't a hit for me, but somewhere along the line I did enjoy the story. The characters are hard to connect with which makes it tough but it's definitely a book worth reading because of that ending. I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone but there is something important to this story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment