Aug 31, 2015

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone

It's been a long time coming but I've finally read the first Harry Potter book and intend to keep reading until the very end of the series. A part of me wishes I had started this series sooner but I'm also kind of okay with the fact that I waited.


 Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy. He lives with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and cousin Dudley, who are mean to him and make him sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. (Dudley, however, has two bedrooms, one to sleep in and one for all his toys and games.) Then Harry starts receiving mysterious letters and his life is changed forever. He is whisked away by a beetle-eyed giant of a man and enrolled at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The reason: Harry Potter is a wizard! The first book in the "Harry Potter" series makes the perfect introduction to the world of Hogwarts.



Harry Potter is a well known book series. To have not read the books yet seems like a silly thing to say but since I've started reading them I've seen quiet a few posts from others who have yet to start the books. It makes me feel a little bit better about being so late in starting this series.

I grew up watching these movies and loving them but I never felt I could understand some of the events in the movies because I hadn't read the books. There would be these little moments in the movies that I just knew I needed to have read the books to fully understand said moments.

I really liked the way this book was written. The way J.K Rowling presented the story was done in a really crafty way. I have a harder time connecting with characters when it's not told from first person point of view but with Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone I had no issues. With each character there was either an instant liking or an instant dislike.

In a way because I've watched the movies so many times it made me enjoy this book more because while I was reading each character had a very distinct voice in my head because of the movies. But at the same time because I saw the movies the twists didn't have the same punch because I knew what was coming. So there are pros and cons to having watched the movies first.

There was a lot more Fred and George in this book compared to the movie and I absolutely loved that. They bring some of the funniest dialogue and wit. They are by far my favorite characters which is funny because as much I love Harry, Ron and Hermione it was Fred and George who I kept wanting to read more and more of.

All in all even though it took me a long time to read this book I did enjoy it. I have a feeling I will like the books more with each one I read because though I did enjoy this book it isn't a new favorite. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone is getting 4.5 out of 5 birds. I would recommend if you haven't read this book yet that you do. There is truly something great about it and the way it's written. I'm curious to see which book in the series ends up being my favorite.






No comments:

Post a Comment