Jul 11, 2015

The Murder Complex

The Murder Complex--why in the world did it take me so long to read this book is the question I am asking myself. This book was incredible. I knew it would be good but I had no idea the amount of goodness it contained inside the pages.


 An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.


Oh, my goodness. This book from page one to the last has left me with my jaw on the floor. I knew I would be dying to read the next book right after finishing The Murder Complex. That feeling not once went away. In fact it just grew. I, just wow. Okay, time to gather my thoughts...

Meadow Woodson is one well crafted, fleshed out character. She was one of those characters that while reading you half expected to jump off the page. Badass, strong, trained to survive Meadow is incredible. I loved every bit about her. Most though I loved how true she stayed to her roots. She was trained to survive and her survival training was not to run in fear, but to be fearless and smart.

Zephyr James is just as an incredible character as Meadow but in a different way. He is strong but his strength lies within him. He has much more emotion than Meadow, in fact he softens Meadow in some ways. I really loved that about the way these two characters were written. There's this misconception that the love interest in the book has to swoop in a save the girl. And yeah Zephyr can save the girl, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but the point is that Meadow doesn't need the saving. She needs the knowledge that he's there to help her, but he doesn't step in and overshadow Meadow's strength.

I will be the first to tell you I am not a big reader of dystopian reads. I'm getting much better about reading them. My problem has always been that I haven't really read a dystopian that right away I just understood the world that was created--until now. The Murder Complex has left me with the desire to pick up not only the next book but other dystopian reads. The way Lindsay Cummings writes was so amazingly vivid and natural that not once did I feel any confusion. I felt a lot of emotions while reading this book mostly "This is epic!" and "Oh, man shit just got real." but never once was I left with the overwhelming feeling of being lost like I so often get with dystopian reads.

Lindsay's way of writing was something I haven't found in a book in a long time. The fluidity of it. The way it didn't even really feel like reading. What I mean by that is that I got so caught up in this story that time kind of flew and the imagery was so vivid in my head it felt like I was watching everything unfold rather than reading it. In short Lindsay Cumming's way of writing is something to be marveled.

This book is dark and there are so many intense scenes that at first you wonder if the fighting will become stiff or boring but not once did that happen with The Murder Complex. Everything about this book felt scarily real. I shiver at the thought of having to live in a world like Meadow's.

The Murder Complex is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This book was a quick read because I literally could not stop reading. When I wasn't reading I was thinking about what could possibly happen next. It's so fast paced and intense. There are lots of twists and turns in this book that some I kind of thought would happen and others that left me in shock. In case you haven't figured it out yet I loved this book and I would recommend this book to anyone. Maybe you are like me and don't have the best luck with dystopian reads. I would tell you to read this book because it has made me love dystopian. Such an incredible book. Read it! But be prepared to need book two after that amazing cliffhanger!



No comments:

Post a Comment