Jul 22, 2015

The Diplomat's Wife

I've read two books by Pam Jenoff now and both I really enjoyed but there was something about The Diplomat's Wife that left me with such a happy feeling. This is a book that I know I will find myself rereading.


 How have I been lucky enough to come here, to be alive, when so many others are not? I should have died.… But I am here.

1945. Surviving the brutality of a Nazi prison camp, Marta Nederman is lucky to have escaped with her life. Recovering from the horror, she meets Paul, an American soldier who gives her hope of a happier future. But their plans to meet in London are dashed when Paul's plane crashes.

Devastated and pregnant, Marta marries Simon, a caring British diplomat, and glimpses the joy that home and family can bring. But her happiness is threatened when she learns of a Communist spy in British intelligence, and that the one person who can expose the traitor is connected to her past.



The Diplomat's Wife has Marta as the main character. If you read The Kommandant's Girl than you will be familiar with this character. I was skeptical at first about this book because I wasn't so sure I liked Marta in The Kommandant's Girl. I am so glad that Pam Jenoff decided to tell Marta's story because she is a character that if you don't understand her thoughts and where she is coming from you won't understand her at all. I loved, loved, loved Marta by the end of this book. After reading this book I can't believe I didn't like her at first. She is an incredible character.

I have read a lot of books with great love stories. Love stories that leave you breathless, leave you with a fluttering heart and butterflies in your stomach. There was something about the love story that had me feeling way more than any love story has. In fact I haven't felt this kind of feeling since I was a kid and first watched Titanic. Granted, this love story isn't really anything like Titanic but I felt so attached to Marta and Paul, so badly wanted them together despite knowing it would be a tragic love.

Paul was such an amazing character. He isn't exactly what Marta remember's when she meets him a second time, but I loved how she could say something and he instantly would realize he needed to change the way he was living. He didn't brush it off he listened and he took everything she said into account. Not only did he listen but his sense of humor made me smile because a lot of the things he said Marta didn't quiet understand because they were American sayings. I could go on and on about what I love about Paul. He is one of those characters that you love so much about.

Pam Jenoff writes such fantastic books. She makes me want to read everything and anything with a history backdrop. Specifically this time period with the Nazi's and the aftermath of the hell they brought. It's a piece of history I don't think we should forget and the way she writes about it is so natural. Buildings are described and you feel as if you are with Marta walking down these streets, ducking into alley's.

I loved that some of the characters from The Kommandant's Girl are present in this book. We get some insight into their lives. It's really interesting to see these characters from Marta's point of view. It makes you see them in a different way, while remembering how certain characters viewed Marta.

The Diplomat's Wife is a getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This is a new favorite. Pam Jenoff is quickly becoming a favorite. I love her books and already plan on reading more. Can't wait for her newest book to come out real soon. If you love a history backdrop or a story with twists you don't see coming then read this book! Such a great read!






No comments:

Post a Comment