Jul 17, 2015

The Death Code

It isn't often that I go buy a sequel right away if I don't already own it. But that's what I did after finishing The Murder Complex. I knew if I didn't read The Death Code right away I would be thinking about what happens to Meadow and I wouldn't be able to focus on any other book.


With short, fast-paced, alternating point-of-view chapters, The Death Code starts several weeks after The Murder Complex ended. Zephyr keeps the secret about Meadow close—that if she dies, The Murder Complex will be destroyed, too. Meadow, desperate to find her brother, father, and little sister, is determined to fearlessly fight to the end, even if it means sacrificing herself and her friends, new and old. The Death Code introduces a memorable cast of secondary characters and delivers a vivid and scary thrill ride read.


The Death Code picks up a few weeks after The Murder Complex and things are fast paced, intense and full of the same gory fight scenes we had in The Murder Complex.

Holy crap, poor Meadow. If you thought she had it rough in The Murder Complex you were not prepared for The Death Code. The Death Code puts Meadow's mental and physical strength to the test. She is strong through out this book but there comes a point when she has to break down, no longer able to bare the weight of it all. Meadow kept herself very distant from others in The Murder Complex and she does the same in The Death Code only she does it a bit more coldly. I love Meadow as a character and considering everything she goes through there wasn't a moment when I didn't understand here motives or why she was doing what she was doing. She is such a fantastic character. I'm going to miss reading about her fearlessness.

Zephyr James man, he has some major character growth. I loved the fact that he started to think for himself. He loves Meadow and he focused a lot on her in The Murder Complex but in The Death Code he finally has a mind of his own. He's become stronger than The Murder Complex. Sure he still feels the pull but he fights it. I love this character and I love that he never once let Meadow push him away. He put up with her cold bullshit. Their relationship from start to finish was frustrating, slow burning and totally the best. 

Speaking of characters with a fantastic relationship. The banter and tough love between Sketch and Zephyr was my favorite. It was the comic relief in a mostly dark book. I didn't expect to grow to like Sketch as much as I did. 

I don't think I talked much about the family aspect of The Murder Complex but with this book I can't help but talk about it. Family plays a big role. Meadow makes it her mission in life to find her brother, sister and father. I loved her devotion to them. I loved Koi so much in this book. I didn't realize just how awesome he was. I wasn't to sure about Meadow's father. He's a badass for sure and the hard loving type but you see a side of him in The Death Code you don't expect. It made me realize everything he did was so they'd survive and even though it seemed like some really cruel things to do he did out it all out of love.

The Death Code is just as vivid as The Murder Complex was. I love that I can see every little detail in my head. The fights. The Ridge. The Shallow's. Everything is vivid and feels so real while reading these books. Lindsay Cummings writes in a way that keeps you turning the page. Just one more chapter turns into five more.

There was something about the ending to this book that made me really happy. Yes, it left an opening for a possibility of more, an ending that lets your mind wander into the possibilities that could or could not happen. For me I wouldn't want another book. These characters have been put through enough hell and that ending was really satisfying for me. I don't normally say that about books. I want more, more, more and though I would totally read more about these characters I like to think that the survivors are happy and no longer being put through hell. Not everyone makes it in this book. That's all I'm saying. And so to be able to let my mind think of where the characters who did survive end up makes me a happy reader.

The Death Code is a kick ass sequel that is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This book leaves you on the edge of your seat. I devoured these books quick and they aren't small reads. The story and writing is just so good it's nearly impossible to not sneak in as much reading time as you can. I can't wait for more from Lindsay Cummings. I will be reading everything and anything from her that's for sure. I'd recommend this series in a heart beat. Read it! Super good!






No comments:

Post a Comment