Jul 7, 2015

Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed wasn't a book that I had an urgency to read. Honestly I don't know if I would have ever picked up a copy had I not found it at a used book store for such a good deal. It wasn't as quick a read for me like I thought it was going to be.


 Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancĂ©. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.


Rachel and Darcy have been best friends for well, practically forever. Darcy is engaged to Dex who never should have been with Darcy in the first place. When Dex and Rachel share a kiss on her 30th birthday it's safe to say it's a spiral of drama from there.

I enjoyed Rachel's narration...until I didn't anymore. I could relate to Rachel in a lot of ways. We share a lot of the same personality aspects, but her constantly putting off talking to Dex about what their relationship was, where it was going drove me crazy. It got the point that Rachel needed to walk away or make Dex choose. Eventually she does put her foot down but she does it far to late for my liking. Despite being frustrated with her half of the book I did like Rachel. She just always saw herself as second best that it held her back from being assertive with certain things.

Very rarely do I not like the love interest in a book. I could not like them at first, but eventually they always grow on me. With Dex that didn't happen. He never grew on me. He felt flat to me like he wasn't fully developed. I think partially it felt that way because the main focus of the story is Darcy and Rachel's friendship. Yeah, Dex is a main role but he was written in a way that felt like he was not meant to overshadow the friendship. Dex always drove me crazy in general with tagging Rachel along and all. Man needed to man up already.

Darcy is the poster child of a wicked friend. Despite wanting to bitch slap Darcy anytime she was around I didn't actually hate her. Trust me there were moments when I was really close to hating her but the problem with a character like Darcy is she's so used to getting everything she wants and everyone always does it. She needed a wake up call from all the people in her life and then maybe she wouldn't be such a bitch...maybe.

One of my favorite characters wasn't present in the book much, but has a much bigger role in the movie. Ethan was not only hilarious but he was much better developed than any of the other male characters. I so wish there had been more Ethan. He would have made up for all the other lack luster characters.

I enjoyed the first half of this book. It kept me hooked and engaged but by the middle nothing seemed to progress and it made me want to read less and less. Something Borrowed is getting 3 out of 5 birds from me. This definitely isn't a favorite but I did like it enough in the beginning and towards the end to give it 3 birds. I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone but if someone was looking for a light read with a story about a friendship that is tested I'd say read it.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of those books that I kind of a little bit want to read but, like you said, there was never any urgency to read it. I do like that this book is more about friendship than romance, but it's always nice if you at least like the love interest. I haven't read many books where I haven't warmed up to the love interest, but the ones where I haven't I've always found that, while I might love the rest of the book, not liking the love interest always leaves me feeling sort of blah about the story. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete