Feb 16, 2015

The Disenchantments

I've had The Disenchantments sitting on my bookshelf for a while now. I bought it knowing very little about the story. I loved the cover and knew that I wanted to read this authors previous books so I bought it. I'm glad that I finally read this book and that I waited as long as I did. If I'm being honest I couldn't have read this book at a more perfect time in my life.


 Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?

Morris Award–finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.


The plan has always been to hit the road and wander Europe after graduating from high school. They've talked about it for years. Bev changes plans and decides college is her plan. Which leaves Colby to realize he has no plans for his life after being on the road for the girls tour ends.

There hasn't and probably won't be another book like this one. The Disenchantments is one of the most true to life, character driven, no sugar coating books I've read in a long time. Everything about it was real and genuine. Because of this and the fact I am the same age as these characters, who are being thrust into adulthood it was in a way a sigh of relief. Very much like Colby I am trying to figure out what the future holds, what I plan to do and having a character struggle with it more or equally as much as me made me connect with this book on a deep level.

Colby is a good guy. He's completely lost and trying to figure shit out after all his plans completely fall apart. It's easy to understand his anger towards Bev, his confusion. I haven't ever connected with a male character like I did with Colby. I understood his desire for something more in life and the worry of what came next.

Bev I didn't like very much. She was a bit of a wreck through the whole book. Quiet, not ever giving straight answers. I wanted to figure her out and understand why she did all that she did. It always seemed like she was screwing Colby over. I didn't think at the end I would like Bev but I found that I did. Everything about her and the way she acted came to full circle. It didn't justify her actions, not completely. She's the type that if you don't pay close attention to her you will miss something important in understanding her as a character. 

Meg was my favorite out of the characters in this book. With her pink hair and vibrant personality it was easy to love her. She was the one always smiling, happy compared to Colby and Bev. Even the happiest people aren't all rays of sunshine though and that made me love Meg even more.

There is romance in this book and yet none at all in certain aspects. I was torn about how I felt about the romance that was there and what I thought was implied. I personally was rooting for a romance with a certain character who wanted an old record player and Colby. A part of me feels like it was there implied in small sections that could easily be looked over if you weren't looking for it.

There is so much about this book that I loved. The dynamic and realistic relationships between Bev, Meg, Alexa and Colby. The way that Bev, Meg, and Alexa played music that didn't sound so good but they played it anyways. Their road trip. The message of the story. Though at times it may seem like nothing is happening, something is especially with the obsession with that tattoo. I got so caught up in this story without fully understanding what it was conveying. And then as you read that last page it hits you. You understand.

The Disenchantments is a really good, authentic book that is getting 4.5 out of 5 birds from me! I don't know if I would recommend this book to everyone. I say this because I feel like there are those few who won't understand the message or relate to Colby's fear of what comes next. This is not a bright and sunny read, it's quiet sad a lot. It's so good though. With that being said his is definitely a book that should be read by those who are facing adult hood, whether you are secure or insecure about it. Read this book. 










No comments:

Post a Comment