Feb 24, 2015

Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls is either going to hook you or leave you wondering if you are going to finish the book at all. I went through both of these things. At first I was not sure if I would get through this book. Then all of a sudden right around the middle of the hundred page mark I was hooked. Nothing about this book was what I expected it was going to be.


Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be contained or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has deeply hidden away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.


For as long as Chloe can remember everyone has loved and done whatever Ruby wanted. Ruby wants cheesecake from the city you bet the boy went and got it for her despite the long drive. There was something about Ruby that made her not like the rest. Soon everything about Ruby and the secrets she holds close unravel.

Where do I even begin to start this review? This was a really unique book. It took me a good hundred pages in to even realize I liked it. The way that the story is told makes you question everything. You wonder if you missed something while reading--but you didn't. You wonder what the heck is going on with this character Ruby and now even after finishing the book I'm at a loss of words when it comes to Ruby.

Chloe was a character who I liked but never once really connected with. It's told from a very distant point of view. Though we are getting perspective from Chloe's take on everything you still don't get a very personal narration. What I loved about Chloe was she started to realize though her sister had this unnatural ability to make you do as she says, she would test the waters. Sometimes she did this unintentionally and felt really guilty about it. Other times she did it just to do something for herself.

Ruby is one of the most frustrating characters. I didn't like her very much. Though I did understand why she did what she did. Even though she did it out of good intentions everything was a downward spiral. She was controlling, manipulative, and had a very cold heart. A part of me wishes we could have seen inside Ruby's head if only to get some understanding of who she was. Because not even Chloe really knew her, not really.

The core of this story is sisterhood. There is not much romance if that is what you are looking for. The boys that are present in the book are so wrapped up in Ruby and don't have the best personalities. Pete was the idiot who made you laugh sometimes. Owen wasn't what I thought he was gonna be. Of all the boys I had a liking for Jonah. Just don't go into this book expecting a romance. You won't find it.

Everything about this book was very eerie. It had you expanding every muscle of your brain trying to understand what was happening in this town and why Ruby had this uncanny way of getting people to listen to her every word. I enjoyed this book despite the rocky start. That ending though left me puzzled and completely questioning everything all over again. Gotta give Nova Ren Suma credit because damn she can write a mind twisting book in an oddly beautiful way.

Imaginary Girls is getting 3.5 out of 5 birds from me! This book was not a favorite but I'm definitely glad I read it. I enjoyed the style of writing and the imagery it created. I don't know if I would recommend this book to everyone, but I feel like everyong should give it a chance. This would be an awesome book to sit down and discuss and try and figure out everything. Definitely check it out if you like a story that keeps you guessing and is pretty dark.









No comments:

Post a Comment