Jan 16, 2015

The Killing Woods

Lately I've been buying books I have little to no knowledge about. And lately these are the books that have been quite good. The Killing Woods was nothing I expected but it kept me thinking and constantly second guessing my judgment on certain characters.


 Emily’s dad is accused of murdering a teenage girl. Emily is sure he is innocent, but what happened that night in the woods behind their house where she used to play as a child? Determined to find out, she seeks out Damon Hillary, the enigmatic boyfriend of the murdered girl. He also knows these woods. Maybe they could help each other. But he’s got secrets of his own about games that are played in the dark.

Emily's father has been accused of murdering Ashlee Parker. He walks out of the woods with her dead body and his sanity not quite there. What are people supposed to think? But Emily insists her father is innocent and that she doesn't have murderers blood in her own veins.

At first I was not sure if I would like this book. The opening chapters which switch from Emily's to Damon's point of view had me confused. Then again what has happened is even confusing for these characters. Once I got past those two chapters I started to follow and understand what was happening. This book was very much like a movie. Things aren't revealed but if you play close attention to the detail that is given you can find clues that make you put two and two together.

Emily is very confused. She's dealing with so much shit on her plate that you can't blame the girl for being so distraught about everything. Though this book is written in first person I felt very distant from Emily. This did not make me like her character any less but at the same time it made it so I didn't feel any connection with her. I liked her and I thought it was brave how she never really gave up hope on her father despite everything pointing towards him being the killer.

Damon was an interesting character. What I loved most about the way he was written was it felt like I was genuinely reading from a male perspective. His voice was so distinct and well written. He's messed up and gutted over what happened to his girlfriend. He can't remember a thing and this whole book he fights with his mind trying to remember what happened.

The suspense in this book is there through every chapter. If you are looking for a romance keep looking because this book has very little. A part of me loved that aspect of this book because why would two characters get romantic when they are both trying to figure out what the hell happened? Everything about this book felt very realistic and well planned.

Every time I thought I had things figured out in this book something would shift or cause me to second guess myself. It would make me want to read faster to see what had actually happened that night. The game they play is so odd but strangely fascinating.

I enjoyed this book but there were certain things that will keep me from giving it a higher rating. The Killing Woods is getting 3 out of 5 birds! Great book that keeps you on your toes! Can be hard to connect to characters, but at the same time it's part of the way this story is told. I feel like perhaps we aren't meant to connect until the very end when everything falls into place. I'd recommend this one for sure.









No comments:

Post a Comment