Jan 13, 2015

Say What You Will

I didn't realize when I started Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern yesterday morning that I would be so engrossed with the story that I would finish it all in one day. It has a been a long time since I've done that. Way too long. This book was something amazing, so amazing.


 Born with cerebral palsy, Amy can't walk without a walker, talk without a voice box, or even fully control her facial expressions. Plagued by obsessive-compulsive disorder, Matthew is consumed with repeated thoughts, neurotic rituals, and crippling fear. Both in desperate need of someone to help them reach out to the world, Amy and Matthew are more alike than either ever realized.

When Amy decides to hire student aides to help her in her senior year at Coral Hills High School, these two teens are thrust into each other's lives. As they begin to spend time with each other, what started as a blossoming friendship eventually grows into something neither expected.


Amy was born with cerebral palsy which means she can't talk without a voice box, drools a bit to much and can't walk without the assistance of her walker. Matthew is in denial about the issues that plague his daily life and it isn't until he becomes Amy's aid that he finally starts to deal with the battle in his own mind.

From page one I was hooked by this book and the story Amy and Matthew had to tell. I had no idea when I picked up this book just how amazing the story inside of it would be. There's something unique about this book. It has nothing to do with the fact that Amy is disabled, but by the honesty and raw way this book is written. Cammie McGovern takes Matthew's OCD and she puts you in his head. She makes you understand how hard it can be to live with it. She shows you that even those who may not be able to speak words verbally have the most to say.

Amy is something truly remarkable. I can't even begin to say why I love Amy or how inspiring she was while reading this book. She is inspiring, strong, funny, honest, and most of all she's flawed in ways that she accepts and doesn't try or want to change. She's accepted the life she was given. She doesn't let it hold her back. She challenges herself in ways that I admired. 

I loved the dynamic between Amy and her mother. Amy has been sheltered her whole life and as she becomes friends with her aids from school, people her age, she stands up and makes choices of her own. I didn't like the way her mother treated her in the beginning or Matthew for that matter, but by the close of the book you come to realize why she is so worried to let her daughter grow up despite it being clear she is capable of so much. 

Matthew, again I am struggling with words. He is amazing in different ways from Amy. He's battling his own mind throughout this book. He won't accept what Amy see's right away. He's got OCD and it's holding him back. I couldn't get over how honest he was, the way he looked at life. There hasn't ever been a male character written like Matthew. He is one of those characters that despite how many books you read you will always remember this one and love.

The friendship between Matthew and Amy was a big part of what made this book so fantastic. Reading about them, the way their friendship bloomed and grew with each page made me turn the pages faster. I keep using words like beautiful and amazing, but it's true whether it be about the friendship they share or them as individual characters. 

This book is written beautifully. My review couldn't ever sum up how amazing this book is. I could talk and talk about how I couldn't stop reading this book. How I laughed and it made me ponder what it must be like to have something to battle with like OCD. I won't because all I have to say is read this book. Cherish the story it is telling. Fall in love with Amy and Matthew the way I did.

Say What You Will is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! It is my favorite book of 2015 so far and it's set some high standards for more books to come. This is the type of book I would recommend daily to anyone asking what to read. I look forward to reading another book by this author!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment