Jan 5, 2015

Outlander

Outlander was one of those books that I had no knowledge of until seeing the Stazs original series. I was hooked and knew I had to read the book. It took me way, way to long to finish this book. Granted it's a long book but it's a good one let me tell you. Had I had the time to really sit and read it through and through I would have finished it months ago.


 The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon—when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life . . . and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire . . . and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.


Claire lives in the year 1945 until she's transported to Scotland 1743. She finds herself thrust into a life surrounded by Scots who don't trust her and think her a spy. I really loved Claire. She has a stubborn, determined, spitfire personality that stuns the Scottish warriors she winds up with. In their time no woman she speak the way she speaks. Damned if Claire cares. She's gonna curse and she's gonna put a man in his place when he needs it. Not once does her character shake. Even when she is put in some scary situations she manages to keep her wits about and get through it.

Jamie Fraser wow, wow wow. I don't know what to say about him honestly other than possibly hot-damn. Like wow. I need me a Scot. Jamie is in a lot of ways amazing but he's also damn stubborn and some of his way of going about things are odd because of the time this is set. I really loved his sense of humor and the way he and Claire would interact with each other.

This is a really big book. It would take a lengthy review to talk about everything that occurred in this book and not to mention a lot of tip toeing so nothing is spoiled. Despite the book being a good six hundred pages long it never felt like it needed to end soon or risk becoming a snooze. Even the stuff that didn't have much happening was entertaining. In fact some of my favorite bit in this book is when nothing crazy is happening and they are back where Jamie grew up. I loved the dynamic throughout that section.

There are a lot of characters in this book way to many to mention. Aside from the main two, Jamie's sister and her husband we're my absolute favorite. I adored them to know end. I can't say to much about them without risk of spoiling some things but they deserved a mention.

Diana Gabaldon writes in a very descriptive fashion. It makes it so every little thing from Jamie's eye color to the Scotland landscaping is easy to conjure an image in your mind. Though I've watched what has been released of the first season before reading this book, it in no way hindered my love of the book. In fact it was only better because of how closely the show follows the book.

The way Outlander ended has me eager to read the next book, yet content to not read it right away. I loved how it ended. Especially after everything that happened to them I felt it was good they had a certain something to look forward to. 

Outlander gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from me. The only reason it doesn't get a full five stars is because of some things that happen to Jamie towards the end of the book that made me uncomfortable. In some ways her descriptive writing made that stuff almost a little to easy to visualize. Other than that this book was fantastic. I would recommend everyone read it and watch the show! Both are so good.


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and read it before watching the show. I was so glad the did so well with the show and I was fully in love with Jamie!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS TV SHOW IS AMAZING, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!! Jamie is totally wow <33 Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete