Aug 11, 2014

Catching Jordan

I have heard so much about Miranda Kenneally's books that I knew I had to finally read one. I've wanted to for a while but never seemed to get around to it until recently. I really liked this book considering at first I wasn't to sure if I would.

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

Jordan Woods is just one of the boys--quarterback of her high school football team. Her teammates respect her but when recruits come out she learns quick that despite being respected by her team most people see her as a girl first, not a football player.

At the start of this book I wasn't sure if I was going to be on board with Jordan's narration, but soon after a couple of chapters I really started to love her voice. She's a major tomboy who's got a bunch of guys as her buds. I loved that Jordan wasn't girly, but even so I could relate to her in some ways. I loved her determination and her strength. She didn't put up with anyone's shit and I admired that.

I am not a football fan but I have to admit that the way that Miranda wrote this book it was easy to feel like I was a fan. She described everything so well that it was so easy to picture everything and not be confused at all about what the heck was happening on the field. Her writing in general was very easy to fall into after the first few chapters. Everything felt very authentic, like she really knew what she was writing about. And I don't just mean the football but as if she was a teenager in high school. She wrote everything so well that it all felt very real and I could visualize everything.

Sam Henry. Holy cow. This character made me laugh so hard--specifically with the Jerry Rice chapters. Anyone who has read this book knows what I am talking about. I literally can not get over this character and how comical he was. But not just that he was sweet, caring, adorable, and a total bonehead in the later half. I adored him and his blonde curls so much.

I was and am still not a fan of Ty. From the start I did not like him and I like him even less now. He was annoying to me and I didn't trust him at first. Now I just think he's whiny. I don't know but Ty really drove me nuts and I never felt the romance between him and Jordan. I just..blah.

There are a lot of great characters in this book and J.J and Carter have to get a mention because they we're written great. I loved them. I loved how Miranda was able to create all these male characters and keep them separate with their own little personalities.

 There's a lot more I could continue to say about this book whether it be about Jordan's relationship with her dad or the total amazing character her mom was. But I won't because some things you just need to read to understand and see for yourself. Catching Jordan is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading more from this author! I'd recommend this one for anyone who is a fan of contemporaries and who love having crushes on characters. Because um, hello Sam Henry. Good luck not crushing on that idiot.






3 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this one for so long. I'm not a huge football fan, but I love football stories, movies, whatever. I don't know why, but they just capture my attention. Definitely going to have to give this one a try. Actually, I might have to get it for my sister because it sounds like something she'd definitely love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a football fan either but this looks just wonderful. I haven't read it but I did read the 5th in the series (Breathe, Annie, Breathe) and it was pretty good but this one looks even greater! :D Fantastic review and, by the way, I love your rating style with the birds hehe. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Ty wasn't my favorite character either. Loved Sam though. :D

    ReplyDelete