Jul 1, 2014

Black City

Black City I didn't really know all that much about before reading. I just knew that the cover was far to intriguing not to pick up and buy. I am glad that I read this book because it was an interesting story that kept me pretty invested.


In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-old Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

Ash and Natalie come from two completely worlds but for some insane reason have this undesired connection. It causes complications in their lives, but it also brings some light into the world they live in as well.

I really enjoyed this book from the very first chapter. Ash's point of view caught my attention right off the bat and I'm glad the book starts off with Ash and not Natalie. Not that I didn't like getting Natalie's perspective because I did, but with Ash being the introduction was definitely a strong and intriguing opener. 

There is something really intriguing and fresh with the world that Elizabeth Richards has created in Black City. Being someone who has a harder time getting into books set in a dystpioan world really fell into this story. It didn't take me long at all to get really invested in the characters and their lives.  Elizabeth Richards writes in a way that flows really great and you aren't getting all this information about the world right away. It all comes at a good pace which I enjoyed very much.

Ash and Natalie. Well, I liked them as individual characters and I liked them together as well. I have to say that I loved the start of their relationship more than their actual relationship. In the beginning they are determined to not like each other and the banter and sometimes cold shoulders between the two was insanely amusing. It was like yeah, yeah we get your both to good for the other now just kiss already! But then once they actually did get romantically involved it got a bit...cheesy for me. It wasn't so cheesy that it was a turn off but I definitely rolled my eyes a few times.

There are quiet a few characters in this book who I liked, but didn't get all that attached too. Day being one of them. I liked her, but at times I felt like she was kind of annoying. I was really surprised by how cruel Sebastian turned out to be. I wasn't expecting him to be that big of an asshole.

Though I really enjoyed the first half and middle of the book the ending wasn't all that good for me. It got cheesy and cliche and it simply fell flat for me. Now, because of that my rating for the book fell down a bit. But even so it doesn't make me not want to read the next book. Because I do still want to continue with this series I'm just not sure exactly when I will read the next book. There isn't any urgent desire.

Black City is a fresh and intriguing read that can be a bit cheesy at times. I really did enjoy it and it's getting 3 out of 5 birds from me. This is a book I would definitely recommend, it's a good story. And not everyone might find what I found cheesy to be so. That was just my take. So deinfietly read this if you can!







1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about this book for a long time now. I've heard other people say the ending was a bit of a let down so I never gave it a try, but I kind of want to so I can see if maybe the cheesy parts aren't so cheesy for me. Idk. It just sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete