Jun 9, 2014

Our Song

I hate, hate, hate marking books as DNF. Simply because I always want to give a book the best chance I can, but when it becomes so many days and I'm getting no where I have to stop. There are too many other books I could and want to be reading.


Olive Bell has spent her entire life in the beautiful suburb of Vista Valley, with a picture-perfect home, a loving family, and a seemingly perfect boyfriend. But after a near-fatal car accident, she’s haunted by a broken heart and a melody that she cannot place.

Then Olive meets Nick. He’s dark, handsome, mysterious . . . and Olive feels connected to him in a way she can’t explain. Is there such a thing as fate? The two embark on a whirlwind romance—until Nick makes a troubling confession.

Heartbroken, Olive pieces together what really happened the night of her accident and arrives at a startling revelation. Only by facing the truth can she uncover the mystery behind the song and the power of what it means to love someone.

I really wanted to like this book. I really wanted to finish this book, but I couldn't get into the story. It just dragged so much for me. And I am one to really love contemporary stories it's rare for me to not finish them. This really sounded like one I would like to!

Olive was not a character I could connect with. Her focus on her broken heart and Derek drove me nuts. I just felt like she was really whiny about so much. I really wish I could have liked her, but by the time I hit the one hundred page mark I still felt no connection with Olive or her story.

Annie was the only character who I semi liked. She was the best friend that told Olive as it was and had the confidence that Olive didn't. I really liked Annie and am curious what happens with her had I kept reading. But I couldn't push through even if I did like this one character.

For me, I felt like this book was a completion of way to many cliches. Whether it be Nick's English accent or the car accident that's turned everything upside down for Olive. I had the urge to roll my eyes a lot. Though the authors writing was okay it just wasn't written in a way that caught my attention of grabbed on to me. Had the main character been written differently I think maybe that would have helped.

The main reason I wanted to read this was because I'd seen quiet a few good reviews and I thought the storyline sounded interesting. Though I didn't enjoy it like I thought, I'm sure others might. Our Song is getting 1 out of 5 birds from me. This is just my take on the story and really I don't have much to say so don't be discouraged from reading it because you really might like it. I was just one of those few who didn't. And maybe had I kept reading it would have gotten better.




3 comments:

  1. It's too bad this was such a disappointment =( I used to feel bad DNFing books until recently. I saw a blog post about how to calculate your book doomsday number (the approximate number of books you'll read before you die) and it made me realize it's not worth wasting any of those on a book I'm not enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks that you didn't enjoy it. It just happens sometimes though. Especially when you can't connect to the main character. And it's especially terrible when you sort of want to know what happens at the end, but just can't bring yourself to finish reading. It's not something I enjoy doing, but I've done it enough now where I only feel a little bad not finishing the book. There are just way too many books out there that I might enjoy to grit my teeth and try to healed it all the way through one that I don't! Still, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey! Just wanted to let you know you were the daily blog tour winner of Beth Barany's Henrietta and the Dragon Stone. If you let me know your email address I can pass it along so the author can contact you with your prize :) and thanks for stopping by on the tour!

    ReplyDelete