May 19, 2014

Vampire Academy

There aren't too many books out there like Vampire Academy. And I mean that in the best possible way. This is a story that is not only unique and fresh, but all around something wonderful. You don't get to read many vampire books with a kick ass heroine like Rose Hathaway.


St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


Rose and Lissa--two best friends who have a special bond--are on the run. After a year of running they are caught and brought back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a place that is supposed to be safe from any threats. Yeah, not so much.

Witty, reckless, strong, brave, hilarious--I could go on and on about all the things that make Rose Hathaway one of my favorite characters. SIhe truly is a character who I admire. Sure, she doesn't have very good impulse control and she knows it. She doesn't tip toe around her flaws she's aware of them but she also knows how badass she is. I love that about Rose. Rose goes through a lot of growth in this book. She's continuously learning whether it to become a better guardian or about herself and her bond with Lissa.
 
Lissa is very much the opposite of Rose. I had a much harder time connecting with Lissa, but I still liked her. I loved how caring she was. How even though she's the Morio she always felt a need to protect Rose. She didn't want to always be the one needing protecting. That alone is just Lissa. Kind and very caring. She's battling a lot and you really start to realize she's got a lot to deal with. Together, Rose and Lissa balance each other out.

Vampire Academy has so many mentionable characters from the sweet and witty Mason, to Christian Ozera who can get all brooding and sarcastic with me any time of the week. Seriously, I can't begin to express how much I adore this character. He's the type that as the series goes on my love for him gets deeper and deeper.

Of course I can't forget Dimitri. He is something else. Something so desirable and sweet that you can't help but want to reach inside the book and pull him out. I am such a sucker for Dimitri. I mean, from the very first line he speaks I was hooked. Not because he's got the sexy Russian accent or the fact he's good looking, but because he's such a good, honorable guy. Do I have to say more? Just go read the book if you haven't already!

Vampire Academy is one of my all time favorites. It was time I finally reread it and reviewed it on the blog even though I'm sure most people have read and loved the story. But hey, gotta express my love anways! Richelle Mead's writing is so captivating and the world she's created is so fresh. Once you've read a book by Richelle you find yourself never going back. You're at the book store the day of any of her new releases.

Vampire Academy is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! I'd recommend this book to anyone. The story is great, the world is crafted so beautifully, and most of the characters have a way of slipping into your heart. If you haven't read this one what are you waiting for? Seriously, you won't find any sparkly vampires here. Just the blood thirsty kind and some PSI Hounds ready to maul you.


2 comments:

  1. The model on the cover always reminds me of Angelina Jolie for some reason... I've never actually read the synopsis for this book before, I like that it's the human protecting the vampire and not vice-versa. I can see why you love Rose so much, I like when girl main characters are bad ass and not all weak and guy dependent. Great review Bailey =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite favorite favorite series ever! Well, the spinoff Bloodlines is my favorite, but it's all the same :) This is such a great series. I love how it's not like any other vampire book I've read. Like, it's about vampires, but there's no starry eyed girl being seduced into the vampire world. Great review!

    ReplyDelete