Apr 13, 2014

My Life Next Door

I am a huge sucker for boy next door kind of love stories and I have to say that My Life Next Door has to be one of my favorites of them all. Because not only is it a sweet romance but it's a great story with more than just a romance. It's about family and hard choices. It's such a good book.


"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.


From the moment the Garrett's moved in next door to Samantha they were off limits. They were this big rowdy family her mother could do nothing but complain about. Getting to know them was not something her mother would allow. So that left Samantha to watch them from afar.

I quickly become attached to many of the characters in this book. And surprising it wasn't the main characters but instead the Garrett's themselves. I adored this family from the start whether it be little George or Patsy who only seems to know the word "boob". I have never loved a family like this one. Sometimes when there are siblings or parents involved in books it doesn't work all that well. It can grow to be boring but with the Garrett's that wasn't the case. Each of them was written so well that I was always so eager for there to be more of them.

Samantha was a great character. I really enjoyed her narration and it was very easy to become engrossed with her fascination with the Garrett's. They live next door to each other yet their lives are completely different. And from the moment Samantha meets Jase she changes little by little. She changes for the good. She becomes stronger and braver and more loving. I could fall in love with Samantha and Jase's story over and over.

Jase Garrett he is something else. Something so amazing he sets new standards for book boyfriends. He is just so thoughtful about everything. And he notices all these little details. Not only that but he's so kind in general. I loved all that about Jase because it felt so genuine and different from any male character I have ever read about. He felt very much is own. Needless to say I fell for this character.

I was really annoyed with Samantha's best friend Nan. How could she be so nasty? Sure maybe Samantha has an easy life but Samantha doesn't flaunt that in peoples faces. And just because someone has money doesn't mean their lives is all that easy. Samantha's a good friend. And Nan just...wasn't. It's so sad that sometimes the people you think are your closest friends end up not being so.

Huntely Fitzpatrick's writing was the type that didn't take any effort to read. From page one you just slip into it and you find it very hard to stop reading. I am a new fan of this author and can not wait to read more from her! She pulled me in so much with this story.

My Life Next Door is a new favorite and is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This was a book I had a really difficult time putting down. I'd recommend it to anyone because it's such a beautiful story with so many wonderful characters. It's the type of book that the moment I'm finished I want to go back and reread all my favorite parts. Definitely read this one!

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you found a new favorite! I didn't enjoy it quite as much as you did but it was good. The author was definitely very talented in creating unique & memorable characters. The entire Garret family was just so full of life and impossible not to love. Great review Bailey! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this one too! Parts of it were hard for me to read because I just wanted to punch some of the characters *cough*Samantha's mom*cough*. But it was such a good book, I'll definitely be checking out Huntley Fitzpatrick's other books in the future!

    ReplyDelete