Apr 27, 2014

Keeping The Moon

Keeping The Moon is one of the three Sarah Dessen books I haven't gotten around to reading. And now that I have finally read Keeping The Moon I realize yet again no matter what she writes it's always going to be a story that I love. Filled with characters who I know I will adore years from now.


 Colie expects the worst when she's sent to spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Mira while her mother, queen of the television infomercial, tours Europe. Always an outcast -- first for being fat and then for being "easy" -- Colie has no friends at home and doesn't expect to find any in Colby, North Carolina. But then she lands a job at the Last Chance Cafe and meets fellow waitresses Morgan and Isabel, best friends with a loving yet volatile relationship. Wacky yet wise, Morgan and Isabel help Colie see herself in a new way and realize the potential that has been there all along.


Colie has to spend her summer in Colby while her mother tours Europe. This is not how she wanted to spend her summer but she soon finds that people in Colby aren't what she was expecting. They help her realize who she is--not fat or a slut but simply Colie a young girl who needed to be shown who she was.

In the beginning of the book Colie is not happy. She's this fifteen year old with a crappy black dye job and a lip ring in her mouth. She's upset about having to go to Colby and she isn't very nice to the first person she meets there. At first I wasn't so sure about Colie. Would I like her? I did actually like her. As she developed a friendship with Isabel and Morgan I grew to love Colie and the person she was. She simply needed help to see herself for whats she's worth. I found I could really relate to Colie and her struggles in certain ways. She's so aware of other people and what they think of her that she holds back and I to find myself doing that sometimes. 

Isabel is one of those characters who doesn't hold back. She tells you what she thinks, she is who she is and she isn't ashamed of it. With each page I found myself growing to really love Isabel. She was such a funny and straight to the point character. Her personality was great and even though Colie wasn't so sure about Isabel in the beginning I loved the friendship that grew with these two. Isabel was so great for Colie and her journey towards discovery. 


"All the bitchy girls in the world are just a training ground for what men can do to you."


Morgan was another great character. She had a great personality as well. She is the one to always apologize for Isabel being so opinionated and two seconds later she's throwing a fit and announcing she's fed up with her job. Only to walk back in two minutes later and getting back to work. I so adored Morgan and Isabel. They are the type of people you wish you had at fifteen to tell you how it is and show you being you is okay.

Norman was so different yet I loved him for that. He's a bit of a hippie who is such a talented artist. He drove Colie nuts in the beginning whether it be his slow walk or all the sunglasses he keeps in his glove box. He's such a sweet guy though and I loved the friendship between these two. And though the romance is light it was so perfect. 

Like most of Sarah Dessen's books this one provides such a beautiful message. I have to say out of all of her books I've read I feel like this one is one of the most important. Even now being older than fifteen I struggle with what Colie is struggling with. I think in some ways we all do and this book does such a fantastic job of not just letting Colie realize who she is but it lets readers see that all girls are beautiful.

Keeping The Moon is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me. This is a really quick read but the story is so important that I think anyone and everyone should read it. It's just so good and its filled with such fantastic characters. Definitely read this one of Sarah Dessen's if you haven't already! And even if you have read it maybe it's time for a reread. 


2 comments:

  1. Ugh. You're making me want to save up all my money and go on a Sarah Dessen book buying spree. My sister would probably love it. She's a huge fan of contemporary, but hasn't read any Dessen yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought Sarah Dessen books were just cheesy romance novels but seeing your last bunch of reviews made me realize that her books actually touch on important topics and life lessons. That will teach me to judge books without reading them! Thanks again for another great review =)

    ReplyDelete