Feb 10, 2014

Waiting On The Sidelines

Waiting on the Sidelines was a book I hadn't heard of until I saw it on Netgalley. I knew after reading the description it would be something I would love to read and I'm so glad I got approved! It was a sweet love story.


 Nolan Lennox had things figured out. Named after a baseball legend, she enjoyed being the Tomboy, her closet filled with her brother’s hand-me-downs, cut-off jeans and soccer shorts. But when her first trip to high school results in a broken heart from the first boy to ever make her heart flutter and cruel words from an older girl she once thought a family friend, Nolan starts to question the very person she thought she was and wonders if her humble upbringing can compete with the afforded luxuries of her privileged peers.

Throughout the next four years, Nolan struggles to maintain herself throughout her path of discovery, learning just how cruel teenagers can be through the pressures of underage drinking, sexuality and class. And despite how life seems to continue to work against her, she still manages to listen to her heart, falling deeper and deeper for the guy the entire town adores, even if he only sees her as a friend. Can Nolan strike a compromise between her own integrity and the boy she loves? And can she make him notice her before it’s too late?

Reed Johnson came to Coolidge High School with a lot of fanfare. The son of a hometown football legend and the brother of a local football hero, Reed wore all the pressures of carrying a town without hope into the spotlight. Thankfully, he had the talent to back it up. But when he meets a girl who makes him think twice about exactly what being a hero means, he starts to wonder if following in his brother’s footsteps might be all wrong.

Nolan Lennox was everything that was opposite of expected. She didn’t flirt, she didn’t drink and she didn’t sleep around. Nothing about her was easy, but something about her made Reed want to try harder. Though she didn’t look the part, she seemed to be spending a lot of time in Reed’s thoughts, and he wondered if she could be the one who made it all worthwhile. But could Reed handle letting her down? And would breaking her heart break him beyond repair?

Waiting on the Sidelines explores young love to its fullest, exposing how real young heartbreak and passion is and how important it is to discover yourself and hold onto your own identity. The story follows two young characters as they deal with mature situations, including the prevalence of bullying and promiscuity in today’s high school setting. Ultimately, Waiting on the Sidelines is a story of hope, honesty and those powerful, first true loves—the ones worth holding onto at any cost.


Nolan Lennox isn't the type of girl to wear dresses or a lot of makeup. She'd rather be in sporty shorts and knee high socks and play volleyball. Reed Johnson is the good looking quarter back who's got a bright future in football. Nolan never thought a guy like Reed would ever pay any attention to her but they develop an unlikely friendship.

Nolan is a really athletic girl who doesn't come from a very rich family. I really loved Nolan. I loved that even though people could make her feel bad about her love for sports she always accepted herself. Sure she struggled with it sometimes but she never allowed herself to really change for anyone. She knew how to stand up for herself and I though that was great. I really enjoyed watch her grow into herself as she goes through high school and into college. 

In the beginning I thought for sure I wouldn't like Reed. But I soon found that I did like him. He had his moments where I wanted to shake some sense into him but he could be so sweet and witty. What I loved so much about Reed was how flawed he was. It made him seem so much more realistic. He may be really sweet but he could also be really cruel. I really enjoyed watching him grow into a better person. Took some bumps in the road that's for sure.

Though this story was a bit cliche with some of the things that took place in the story it didn't make me love it any less. Ginger Scott was able to write a really wonderful love story that kept me engrossed. Sometimes you need a cliche love story and this one I really enjoyed. Had Ginger Scott not been as good a writer as she is I don't think I would have liked the book as much as I did. But this authors writing was easy to get caught up into.

There were quiet a few wonderful characters in this book and I loved how they always turned out to be so different than what I thought they would be. Sean--boy did he shock me! I really ended up caring for him. And Becky! I loved her and the friendship her and Nolan had. It was really great to have all these characters and to have them shock me. Some turned out to be some goodies while others ended up making bad choices. And then there was Tatum who was simply a bitch from beginning to end. 

Waiting on the Sidelines is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me! I really enjoyed this love story and will definitely be reading the next book to see where their story continues. I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for a sweet if not complicated love story.


~~Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book!~~


2 comments:

  1. The story does sound a little cliche but also sweet at the same time. I'm glad Nolan was able to stay true to who she was and not let others change her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one either until now and wow. It sounds great. I love flawed characters and it sounds like I'd love Reed. I like characters that are hard to like, but they grow on you and grow up at the same time, you know? I'll have to keep my eye on this one!

    ReplyDelete