Feb 6, 2014

Looking For Alaska

I have always heard nothing but good things about John Green. But I also heard a lot how his books tore people apart. Which is why I feel I always put his books off thinking I'd read them eventually--just not now. Now that I have read two of his books---Looking For Alaska being the second--I realize what an idiot I was to put them off. This guy is brilliant with words.


BEFORE. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

AFTER. Nothing is ever the same.


I'm not even going to try and give you a short summary of this book before diving into my thoughts. I'm afraid I'd give the whole book away if I did that so I will start off by saying how much I adored this book. I adored it. Especially those few final pages. Best, most beautifully written ending I've read in a long time. In fact it's the type of final words that stick with you down the line they were so beautiful and thoughtful. 

Mile's better known as Pudge was such an amazing narrative. I am not very familiar with having a male main character. And in the beginning I was really cautious about it. Why? Because it was something different and I wasn't sure if I would like it. I've found though the more books I read with a male protagonist the more I grow to love it. Miles has become one of my favorites thus far. From the very beginning I liked him. The very first pages he had me chuckling and that didn't ever really stop. But it wasn't really the way he made me laugh that made me like him so much. I can't even really say what it was exactly about Mile's that made me like him so much. All I can say is I really, really loved his voice and the way he thought so deeply about life. Not only that but I could not get over my fascination for his knowledge of people's last words. 

Looking For Alaska had some really great characters in it and two of my favorites were Alaska and Chip "the Colonel". Colonel I loved right off the bat from his first meeting Mile's. His dialogue alone was hilarious but add Mile's in there as well and you have some really funny stuff. And even though he always had me smiling I loved how loyal he was. He wasn't all funnies all the time. I also really loved the friendship that developed between Colonel and Mile's. 


"Hold on." He grabbed a pencil and scrawled excitedly at the paper as if he'd just made a mathematical breakthrough and then looked back up at me. "I just did some calculations, and I've been able to determine that you're full of shit." 


Alaska Young is such a fun and impulsive character. Again there was an instant liking to her when she shows up in the novel. The funny thing is Alaska is nothing like me yet I found myself understanding her. She's so quirky and at times even really selfish but yet you can't not like her. So I could totally understand why no one could ever really hate or stay mad at this girl. You couldn't help but love her and her wild self. 

There is so much to this story and it's characters and I don't feel like I am expressing that to you very well in this review. But then again if I did I would end up giving away the whole story. It's such a beautiful and thought provoking book that I honestly feel like everyone should read it. John Green has a way with his words and I regret that I didn't read his book's sooner. Now I can say I fully understand why everyone loves this authors work.


"She didn't leave me enough to discover her, but she left me enough to rediscover the great perhaps."


Looking For Alaska is getting 4.5 out of 5 birds from me. It's a really beautiful story and I will recommend it to everyone. Again, I may not have been able to express my feelings about this book in the way I would have liked but I feel like this is the type of book that you have to read it in order to understand why I love it so much. John Green is a brilliant writer and I will be buying the rest of his books for sure!


 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad you liked it. I have this one but I haven't read it yet so I'm glad to hear it was so good. A lot of people say they didn't like the rest of John Green's books as much as thy liked The Fault in Our Stars, but after reading An Abundance of Katherines (which I've heard wasn't a favorite for a lot of people) in convinced that even John Green's least popular book is still going to be amazing! Can't wait to discover Alaska and Miles and all the other characters. That quote from Colonel, I think it was, had me cracking up. Great review Bailey!

    ReplyDelete