Feb 15, 2014

Going Long

After finishing Waiting on the Sidelines by Ginger Scott I was super excited to start the next book Going Long. I had got pretty caught up in Nolan and Reed's story and knowing it would be continued in another book made me eager to find out how their lives continued after Waiting on the Sidelines.



 They fell in love in high school and found their way back to one another despite the odds. But can first loves really be forever? For Reed Johnson, the dream was always football. But then Nolan Lennox took over his heart. Is he willing to give up his first love just to keep his true love? Or will he be too late?

Reed and Nolan’s story continues in "Going Long," sequel to "Waiting on the Sidelines."



Nolan and Reed are no longer in high school. They are in college and navigating the challenges that come with growing up. Life can throw a lot of obstacles your way and sometimes holding on to your first love isn't an easy thing.

I have to say that I was really disappointed in Nolan throughout a lot of this book. She went from being this awesome character to a total wreck. Which is understandable to a certain extent but boy did she just keep making all these decisions that were screwing up her future. She slowly grew back into the strong character I knew from Waiting on the Sidelines but it took a while. 

Having chapters inside of Reed's head was the best thing Ginger Scott did for this book. For starters it made me understand this character fully and it made me love him more than I thought I could. Don't get me wrong I liked Reed in Waiting on the Sidelines but getting to see inside of his head made everything he ever did make sense to me. I adored whenever the chapters would switch to Reed's perspective. He really grew into an amazing young guy. He blew me away honestly the character development Reed had.

There was quiet a bit of cliche stuff in the first book but that grew even more in Going Long. Now because Ginger Scott is a good writer she gets away with it. But I have to say some of it this time had me sighing at how cliche things would get. It slowed down my reading because I felt like things could have been a little bit less dramatic than they were. 

Buck was a character I liked in the first book but I really grew to adore him in Going Long. He cracked me up with his speeches and always telling stories. He was a great character. I was also really happy that there was a bit of Sean and Sarah and Nolan's other friends in the book. I loved them! I also really loved the addition of Trig. He was a great new character. Gavin on the other hand--eh. He bugged me. 

My favorite part of this book was the ending. It was the best written part of the book. It made my heart warm and I found myself smiling. It was so sweet and a perfect way to wrap up Nolan and Reed's story. Despite often wondering if it would be best for them to go their separate ways and move on from each other. I am really pleased with how things turned out for them despite all the somewhat unnessicary drama.

All and all I enjoyed Going Long but not quiet as much as Waiting on the Sidelines. I'm giving this book 3 out of 5 birds! I'm glad that Ginger Scott wrote this book because it gives readers more into these wonderful characters stories. I simply wish the drama wouldn't have been so heavy. Though I'd recommend everyone read this one who have read the first book!


~~Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book!~~

3 comments:

  1. Sorry this one wasn't as good as book one. Its always sad when a character you love loses a little bit of what makes them strong. But I'm glad to hear Nolan got it back on the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it wasn't as good as the first book. Unfortunately, that tends to happen so often with sequels. I love when books are dual POV so it's cool that she added chapters from Reeds perspective this time around. Glad the ending made it worth the read =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do so well with cliches either, but you're right that some authors can get away with using them!

    ReplyDelete