Feb 21, 2014

Don't Even Think About It

I was really excited to be pre-approved for Sarah Mlynowski's new book Don't Even Think About It on Netgalley because I knew it was one I wanted to read. The first book I ever read by this author I enjoyed so much and her writing was so fresh. I have to say I didn't enjoy this one as much but the writing was still very funny.


Contemporary teen fiction with romance, secrets, scandals, and ESP from the author of Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have).

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.
So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.


When a homeroom of about twenty or so kids get a flu shot at school some strange things happen. They develop ESP meaning they can hear everyone's thoughts. Pretty cool right? Sure, everyone is curious of what everyone thinks but it can bring on quiet a lot of unwanted drama along with their new found ability. 

There was something really unique about the way this book that was written that made me like it but it was also a downfall at the same time. The good thing about the way it was written was it was unique to have the story told by not one certain character but every character all at once. It made things interesting but at the same time it made it really hard to connect to any of the characters because of how they we're all telling the story as a we rather than one single person.

There were a lot of characters in this book. Some I really liked, others I didn't like and some I simply felt indifferent about. I found by the end of the book that Tess and BJ were my favorite of the group. Which is funny because in the beginning I felt indifferent towards them. And then suddenly I was loving them. Cooper was one I loved from the beginning as well as Olivia. I loved how the ESP gave Olivia the confidence to do things. She realized people weren't paying attention to her that it was okay to dance because you wanted too. No one was watching! I could really relate to Olivia's shyness. I wasn't a fan of Pi or Mackenzie. They annoyed me actually.

Sarah Mlynowski has a way of writing really funny and cute books. I loved her previous book Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) that book made me laugh so hard and it was such a good book! Which is why I wanted to read this one. But it wasn't as good. Don't get me wrong I still found myself laughing here and there but I couldn't connect with the story all that well.

I'm giving Don't Even Think About It 3 out of 5 birds. Despite some things I didn't care about this book and how long it took me to finish it was a decent read and the ending was great. I enjoyed how it ended which bumped up my rating of the book a bit. I'll definitely read more by this author because she is a talented writer this one just wasn't a win for me like her other book. I think much younger readers would enjoy this book better and I would recommend it more so to middle school kids than anyone else.



~~Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book!~~




2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a story being written by a collective of characters like that. I can understand it being both good and bad, unique but also a disconnect. I think it's a special feat when a book can make someone laugh out loud like that, it doesn't happen often. Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This books sounds cute, but I don't know if it would be a good one for me. Every once in awhile I'm up for a really adorable books like this though, so maybe if I'm ever in a middle grade sort of mood I'll read it? Not sure, but I think the concept is definitely really interesting! Sorry you didn't love it as much as you were hoping to :)

    ReplyDelete