Jan 25, 2014

Thrall

Thrall is one of those book I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon had the author not contacted me about a review. It had a beautiful cover and the premise sounded so unique that I had to give the book a shot. I'm glad I did but it wasn't a fast read for me. Though it was enjoyable for the most part.


 Braedyn is a normal girl just trying to survive high school with her two devoted friends, Royal and Cassie. Together they’re doing a pretty good job of shrugging off the slings and arrows cast their way by the popular crowd when a new boy, Lucas, moves into the house next door. Suddenly Braedyn finds herself falling in love for the first time.

But as her sixteenth birthday approaches, Braedyn discovers humankind is at war with the Lilitu, an ancient race of enticing demons that prey on human souls. Her father is a member of the Guard fighting against the Lilitu - and so are the new neighbors, including her crush, Lucas.

As her world starts to unravel at the seams, Braedyn learns the right answers aren’t always clear or easy. And as for “good” and “evil” – it all depends on how we choose to act.

Inspired by the ancient Mesopotamian myths of Lilith and her offspring, Thrall explores first love, strong friendships, and taking on adult responsibilities against the backdrop of powerful supernatural forces and life-and-death stakes.



Braedyn is about to turn sixteen and little does she know her life will be changing a lot more than most girls who turn sixteen. Turns out Braedyn isn't human. She's a Lilith and there's a war about to break out. Sweet Sixteen? Not exactly....

Braedyn was one of those characters I had a hard time connecting with. I liked Braedyn in the beginning before she found out what she was. She was sweet, sarcastic with her friends, and had an awesome relationship with her dad. But after that she wasn't the same. I didn't like how she acted out after finding out the truth about her life and her dad. It got annoying but it didn't last long and Braedyn shaped up. That was the thing though with this character she was always changing to quickly for me. It was too quick for me to really notice any character growth. Don't get me wrong I can understand why a lot of people like Braedyn, she can be quiet funny when she wants to be but I just could not connect with her at all. I have to say though in that final chapter she did show her strength.

There are cases where the instant love connection works. And some cases where it just doesn't. With Thrall it's sort of in the between for me. I'm becoming less and less of a fan of instant love the more it pops up but I could tolerate it with this book because despite the instant love there were complications to make it interesting. Lucas was a great love interest. He's strong, sweet, funny, determined, even a bit wounded. I liked him but the relationship between Braedyn and him moved too fast for me. Now that doesn't mean it wasn't any good, because at times it was really sweet but I wish it wouldn't have been such an instant thing and grew a bit slower.

One of my favorite parts about this book was the relationship between Braedyn and her dad. It was really awesome. I don't think enough books focus on parent/child relationships but this one did have quiet a bit of it in this one and I really enjoyed it. It was so well written and the dialogue between the two was great!

Fast is a theme with this book. Things never slow down and that is good it keeps you turning the page but it was a tad bit to fast for me. I keep saying that don't I? I really did enjoy this book to a certain extent but the fast pace made me feel like I was missing out on things. Maybe it's because I wish there would have been more with Braedyn and her friends. I really loved them! Especially Royal and his sassy remarks. But there was some good to the fast pace. The action was always there and very well written and because it was such a quick pace there wasn't really any time for dullness.

Thrall was a quick paced read with plenty of action to keep readers on their toes wondering what will happen next. I'm giving Thrall 3 out of 5 birds. It wasn't a favorite of mine and I won't be jumping to read the next one right away but I did enjoy it and I'm glad to have gotten to read such a unique and well written book. That was another great thing about this one how unique the plot was!



~~Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book!~~

No comments:

Post a Comment