Jan 3, 2014

The Summoning

You know you love a series when the fourth time around rereading it you still can't stop turning the pages eager to know what happens next. Each time is like the first time all over again. The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong still proves to be one of my favorite books filled with all my favorite characters.


 My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.

All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost - and the ghost saw me.

Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? it's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House...before its skeletons come back to haunt me.


Chloe Saunders is not your typical fifteen year old girl. She hasn't started her period, she's been seeing dead people from a young age, and well soon she realizes normal was never a word that should be used to describe her life.

Chloe is one of my favorite female characters in a series. I say this about quiet a few female characters in books but I have a lot that I do like. But Chloe will always be one of my top favorites. She's this short girl who stutters and you wouldn't expect her to be tough. But in fact Chloe proves not only to be tough but brave. She has such a unique voice that it's hard not to get caught up in her story as she figures out she isn't nuts like everyone wants her to believe. 

Derek and Simon are two completely different characters yet each is easy to like. Simon is very sweet and artsy the type who will make conversation with the new kid when  no one else will.  He's also very honest and genuine. And I really did like Simon but I found a lot of my focus and curiosity always gravitating towards Derek. Derek is this insanely tall sixteen year old who got a bit of a smack down from puberty. He's cranky and down right rude. Yet I love Derek. Because you know despite how cranky he can be he's a good guy. Having read all these books many times there is so much more I would love to say about Derek but it shall wait...

There is a lot to love about this book but what I loved most was the setting. There's something really intriguing about a book being set in a house for teenagers who aren't quite sane. Of course these teens end up being more than just teenagers with anger issues and hearing voices. It's a lot more complicated and that is what made it so great was getting to go along with Chloe as she comes to terms with what she can do as well as discovering some not so great things about the Lyle House.

Kelley Armstrong has a way to capture you into the story she is telling. And once you are captured and getting insanely attached to the characters she's created it's hard to stop reading. Even when you do stop reading it's a book you know you will always go back to. At least that was how it was and still is for me. Kelley Armstrong is one of those authors who's writing is so good that years down the rode I'm still thinking about the book and still just as engrossed and attached to the characters as the first time I read the book. That right there says it all about how talented of an author she is.

The Summoning gets 5 out of 5 birds! I love this book--and series--more than I can express. I love it so much I want to buy a bunch of copies and toss them at people and yell "Read it!" Okay. I'm too OCD with books to actually throw them. More like nicely hand them over. But still. It's one of those book's I'd recommend to anyone. And of course with that ending book two is needed as soon as possible! Read this book and adore it! I promise you will.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I've never read this book but you make it sound amazing! And OMG. I have so many books I wish I could buy a bunch of copies of and give them to people! If I ever win the lottery that'll probably be how I blow all the money ;)

    ReplyDelete