Jan 20, 2014

The Rising

There is always something really bitter sweet about the final book in a series. Especially a series from Kelley Armstrong. There is just something about this author that makes it really hard to let go of her characters and their stories. Yet at the same time Kelley does such a fantastic job of ending it that you can't help but be happy with how it all ended.



 Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

Old secrets are revealed and unexpected characters make a surprising return in this stunning conclusion to Kelley Armstrong's New York Times bestselling Darkness Rising trilogy.


Maya and her friends are on the run. They've survived a helicopter crash, being shot at by the people who tried to kidnap them, and survived with barely any food or water while trying to find some civilization. Now they are at the point that they have run out of options. And now it's time to find answers and people who may or may not help them.
 
Maya really grew into herself in this book. She grew into someone I could really like. It wasn't that I didn't like her before she was always a great and interesting character but in The Rising I felt her character shift. She wasn't so quick to judge people the way she used to. She questions herself a bit more. Not that that is necessarily a good thing but for Maya it allowed her to finally understand things about her feelings and herself as a person. She's strong and I really loved getting to follow her as she figured out who she is while trying to save the people she cares about. 

Daniel and Rafe are to very different people yet it's easy to care for both of them in different ways. I've never really liked Rafe all that much. I didn't necessarily not like him but in the first book he wasn't anything special to me. I felt indifference towards him I suppose. I didn't find the appeal that Maya did. Book two came around and I found myself really worried about Rafe and actually kind of caring about him. And now with this final book I finally understand the appeal. Now he will never be that character who makes my heart flutter. But rather the character who I finally understand. He's a really great guy. Not that he wasn't before but you really see who Rafe is in this final book. And you've got to respect him a bit for his actions.

Daniel on the other hand is the character that I cared about from the beginning. He's the loyal and caring best friend. I respected him from the beginning and that doesn't change with this final book. In fact I respect him even more in this one. I absolutely adore Daniel. He's such an amazing and selfless guy and when him and Maya are together they just make each other better. Daniel is that character who makes my heart flutter. 

There's quiet a few new characters that come in this book but for the sake of not spoiling it I won't talk much about them. Other than I really loved the new character Ash. He was not what I expected yet he was perfect. Him and Maya cracked me up. Most importantly though my favorite characters of all time make an appearance in this book. Chloe, Derek and the rest of the gang. Having them intertwine was one of my favorite reading experiences. It was comical and perfect how they all interacted and figured the other out. And of course getting to see where Derek and Chloe are now and how things turn out for them in the end was so amazing. It filled that side of me that was always wondering about them.

The way everything was resolved for Maya and her friends and Chloe and Derek and the rest of the gang wasn't how I figured things would go. Yet it was perfect. That's the thing with Kelley Armstrong's writing. She always seems to make it go in the least expected way yet it's so much better than how you thought it would go. Her writing is so captivating and she wrapped up Maya's story perfectly. I loved how it all turned out. Just everything!

The Rising is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This was the best book out of the series. It was an action packed and emotional yet comical read. It has it all. I can't really write in words how amazing of an author Kelley Armstrong is but I can say that her work is something that needs to be read. Pick up these books and fall in love with the characters and their complicated life! You won't regret it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment