Jan 11, 2014

The Reckoning

There's this really sad feeling that grows in a book nerds stomach knowing that one of their favorite series is coming to an end. You're so excited to see what will happen yet so sad that it's ending. After all these years I still have that feeling in my stomach even though I've reread this series four times now. It's just that good.

Chloe Saunders is fifteen and would love to be normal. Unfortunately, Chloe happens to be a genetically engineered necromancer who can raise the dead without even trying. She and her equally gifted (or should that be 'cursed'?) friends are now running for their lives from the evil corporation that created them.

As if that's not enough, Chloe is struggling with her feelings for Simon, a sweet-tempered sorcerer, and his brother Derek, a not so sweet-tempered werewolf. And she has a horrible feeling she's leaning towards the werewolf...

Definitely not normal.


Chloe and her friends are safe--sort of. They're still on the run from the Edison Group but they are no longer alone and on the streets. But maybe they were better off on their own because people aren't always as honest as you hope...

I've said it more than once but I will say it again. Chloe Saunders is one of the best female protagonists. She's normal. Well, normal isn't the right word. She feels very real. She isn't this strong girl who can kick ass. She's short and way to nice. But the thing is that's how a lot of people view her. They don't see the strength within her. She is strong and I think a lot of characters realize this in the book. They see Chloe for all that she is. She may be small but she can take care of her self if she has too.

Like Chloe I think people finally see Derek for who he is and not what he is. He's an amazing guy. In the beginning he's very grumpy and short tempered and he's changed so much. He's become the characters we all knew he was. Sweet, caring, loyal, protective--he was all of these things before but he was very misunderstood in my opinion. And now you really get to see Derek for who he is. I could go on and on about how much I love this characters but I won't. You really have to read these books to understand my love for Derek and Chloe.

There are a lot of awesome characters in this series whether they be the good guys or the bad guys. Each character Kelley Armstrong writes is so easily pictured in your head while reading. From Tori who can be a smart-ass to Simon who's too stinking adorable for words. And then there are the bad guys like Tori's mom who gets exactly what was coming to her to the hell bent on teasing Chloe Royce. He is not a ghost anyone want's to encounter that's for sure! My point is that all these characters are really well rounded and developed even the minor ones.

All of the books in this series have been really fast paced. Every chapter gets better and better. You get so tangled up in the story that before you know it you find you've read all three books and there are no more. Even though I've read these books many times I still got that choked up happy feeling in my stomach and throat. You think I wouldn't considering I've read these books so many times but I still do every time. It's just such a great ending to a fantastic series that still chokes me up. Kelley Armstrong is a fantastic and very talented author.

I mentioned it before how realistic the romance in these books are. It's very slow growing. But my favorite part is how the books don't center around the romance. Don't get me wrong the romance is one of my favorite parts because it's written so well but the thing about how Kelley Armstrong writes it is she doesn't let it over power the story. I find that a lot of books focus too much on the romance and you lose the story because of it. Kelley Armstrong doesn't let that happen with these books. 

A lot goes down in this book. And even though things aren't all that resolved with Chloe and her friends you still get a certain amount of closure because at the moment they are okay and that's enough. The Reckoning is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! This is a really timeless series. I can't get over how much I love it. I'm ready to reread it again it's just so good. I highly recommend you read this series if you haven't already. Kelley Armstrong's writing is truly captivating.






No comments:

Post a Comment