Jan 26, 2014

Better Off Friends

Better Off Friends is a book I happened to stumble upon on Netgalley and knew right away I wanted to read it. I am so glad I got approved because boy did I love this book! Elizabeth Eulberg is yet another author to add to my favorite list.


 For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?


Guys and girls can't be friends. Or so people say. Macallan and Levi are just that friends, best friends. Yet people always assume it's more than that. They prove that guys and girls can be good friends but being best friends with the opposite sex certainly can cause some complications.

Let me start off by saying how much I loved this book. I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book but I am certainly going to try because I want everyone to read this book and share my love for it. It's just so good. 

Macallan quickly became a new favorite character for me. She was so easy to identify with that it was impossible not to like her. And not to mention her sense of humor was off the walls. Whether she was having banter with Levi or just thinking she always managed to make me laugh. Another thing that made me really love Macallan was her fearless nature. I don't mean she was fearless in the way that she was jumping off swing sets but rather she was fearless with confrontation. She isn't afraid to stand up for her family or people who are being wrongly treated. I also really loved how Macallan didn't get all caught up in the super cliche things of school like boys and fashion and such. She was just Macallan who loved a UK show. And I am one of those people who gets caught up in those UK shows.  

"My initial instinct was to ask him if the name Levi came from the jeans his mom was wearing on the day he was born, but instead I behaved like the good, responsible student I was supposed to be."


Like with Macallan I quickly loved Levi. Even with his long hair in the beginning. He was sweet, had the same sense of humor as Macallan which was hilarious when the two were together. He was a really caring guy and very genuine. I loved him and even when he was being a dumbass when he made the varsity team I still loved him because I knew he'd come around. He always did and that was the thing about Levi that I loved. He always realized when he screwed up and he may be stubborn but I knew he'd come around. He's the type of guy that I've always wanted as a best friend. He's the guy everyone has wanted as a best friend. 

I haven't enjoyed a contemporary book this much in a long time. There have plenty that I've loved but not as much as I loved this one. Honestly this book meets my Sarah Dessen standards and no contemporary book has ever been like a Sarah Dessen book for me. But this one was. I adored everything about it but what I loved most was the way it was written. Before each chapter you have Levi and Macallan having short conversations setting up the chapter. It was brilliant and hilarious and perfect.

"Are you remembering the same day that I am?"

"Yes."

"Oh. I'm so sorry. I believe you're suffering from delusional fantasies."

"I'm not delusional. There are many words to describe me: awesome, stud, male extraordinaire, you name it."

"Fine. You're awesome. But clearly delusional."


Macallan and Levi have an amazing friendship but that doesn't mean it doesn't bring some complications in their life because it certainly does. Whether it be a boyfriend who can't handle their friendship or running off to Ireland for a summer it isn't all happy jokes. Which by the way can I mention how much I loved this book had a trip to Ireland in it? Dream place to go! I won't ramble about that though. The core of this story is that friendship and I love that it shows guys and girls can be friends. They can be best friends and even if it does or doesn't lead to something friendship is possible and it is wonderful. They have one of the best friendships.

I think it's pretty obvious I loved this book which is why it's getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. It deserves more let me tell you. Elizabeth Eulberg's writing is something wonderful. From page one you are hooked in the story. I most certainly will be reading her other books. I recommend all contemporary fans read this one even those who aren't familiar with contemporary need to read this book! It's coming out February 25th and I know I will be at the bookstore picking up my copy! 


~~Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a copy of this book!~~

No comments:

Post a Comment