Dec 26, 2013

My Sweetest Escape

Chelsea C. Cameron has proven to be a fantastic writer and with each book of her's I read I always find myself becoming a bigger fan of her work. After hearing there would be a sequel to My Favorite Mistake I was so thrilled! I loved--no scratch that--adored My Favorite Mistake and getting to go back to the Maine setting with some of my favorite characters and new fresh one's was beyond exciting!


The past will always find you.

Jos Archer was the girl with the perfect life; until the night it all came crashing down around her. Now, nine months later, she still hasn't begun to pick up the pieces. Even transferring to a new college and living under the watchful eye of her older sister, Renee, isn't enough to help her feel normal again.

And then she meets Dusty Sharp. For reasons Jos can't begin to fathom, the newly reformed campus bad boy seems determined to draw her out of her shell. And if she's not careful, his knowing green eyes and wicked smile will make her feel things she's no longer sure she deserves.

But even as Dusty coaxes Jos to open up about the past, he's hiding secrets of his own. Secrets about the night her old life fell apart. When the truth is finally revealed, will it bring them closer together;or tear them apart for good?


Though My Sweetest Escape is a sequel to My Favorite Mistake the story isn't about Hunter and Taylor. It's from the point of view of Jos and I really enjoyed her story. From the beginning you know that Jos is dealing with something. She's being forced to leave her college and move to Maine to live with her sister Renee. Jos is no longer the uptight girl she used to be. She left that girl behind and we readers never really get to know that side of Jos. This new Jos curses and lets her hair down. I really enjoyed Jos as the main character. I could sympathize with her redhead problems. Redheads fail miserably at hiding their emotions! Not only that but she was sarcastic, had great taste in music, and a bit of a weird obsession with candy. I loved her! But she also drove me nuts with Dusty. That girl is stubborn and she sure did a good job pushing Dusty away...

Dusty, boy was he something. Now he will never top Hunter but he sure was interesting and smoking hot. But let's face it no one can really top Hunter. He was just too amazing. Though Dusty sure is an awesome character. I loved how right off the bat you know he cares about Jos. Whether it be a friendly way or more than a little friendly you just know he's looking after her. Much more than we realize at first. What I loved most about Dusty though was how despite how bitchy Jos got with him he never gave up on her. She pushed and pushed but he didn't let her push him away. That was my favorite thing about him his determination.

I loved the setting for this book not only because it's in Maine but the Yellowfield house. I totally want to live there! And not just because Hunter lives there...but because the environment and feel of the house was so great and it's filled with such great people from Mase to Paul and Renee and of course Taylor. Who wouldn't want to be Taylor's best friend?

I adored how Chelsea gave us some more to Hunter and Taylor's story but not to the point that it took away from the story Jos had to tell. It was perfect and boy did it make me want to go back and reread My Favorite Mistake. I just love Hunter and Taylor. Okay I'll stop gushing...

I did not expect certain things in this book like the way Dusty and Jos seem intertwined around every corner. It was such a great thing though because it brought these two people who were hurting together and it was great story telling on Chelsea Cameron's part. One because I never saw it coming and two because it added so much more to the story.

Music is one of my favorite aspects of Chelsea C. Cameron's books. As with My Favorite Mistake it features a lot of mention of music and I really enjoy that. It brings bands I haven't heard of to my attention and as well as a smile when a song I like is mentioned. I am one who loves music and having a character who loves music just the same was something I really enjoyed.  

All and all I really loved My Sweetest Escape and I'm giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Chelsea C. Cameron did yet another fabulous job creating a story and characters that I was engaged and addicted too. Anytime I see the name Chelsea C. Cameron on a book you bet I will be reading it! If you haven't read anything by this author yet I suggest you do. They are great stories with well rounded and at times sassy characters.

~Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book!~







1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of Chelsea Cameron's books yet, but I really want to! This one sounds great. I love books with great characters and these two sound pretty interesting. And I'll have to check out Hunter and Taylor's story too :)

    ReplyDelete