Dec 11, 2013

My Mad Fat Diary

Recently--as in just yesterday--I started watching this British show called My Mad Fat Diary. It's a short six episode series that I finished quickly because with each episode I couldn't stop watching. And now of course that I'm done watching it I wish the second series was out already. Sadly it is not and I will have to wait for more Finn Nelson goodness.


I wasn't sure if I would really like this show. But I'd seen some people posting about it on Tumblr so I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did because I'm obsessed with the characters. It's such a thought provoking show and you can't help but get attached to all of the characters. First there is Rae who is the protagonist for the show. It revolves around her dealing with coming out of a physic-ward and reentering the world while still dealing with her issues.

Rae is dealing with a lot of stuff and with each episode you see just how deep her issues are while at the same time she's making friends and dealing with boys and her best friend Chloe and the drama that comes with her. I really liked Rae more with each episode. She's quiet funny.

There's Finn who is probably my new fictional character obsession. He's just so stinking adorable and real that I can't help but wish he was actually you know real


At first you think he's quiet jerky if not a bit stuck up and full of himself. And then you realize he's not like that at all. He's quiet sweet and caring and totally my new crush. Did I mention that already? Probably. All I want for Christmas is Finn Nelson...

Alright, alright I'll stop with the Finn gifs.

Then there is Archie who is instantly sweet to Rae. He's a great character who's relationship I loved watching develop with Rae. He's a cutie with adorable glasses who has a secret of his own.


He felt like a proper friend to Rae. Someone who actually listened to what she was saying unlike Chole...

I didn't really like Chloe. She seemed fake to me and it was obvious that she was jealous by how quick her friends accepted Rae almost like she was expecting them to be asshole's to her. Chloe brings a lot of drama and bad decisions to her life. By the end the series though I liked her a bit more than I did originally. She grew up just a bit. Then there is little Izzy who is impossible to dislike.

I really liked Izzy she was sweet and it was totally obvious from the start she had a thing for Chop.

Chop generally liked Rae as a friend and he was often an idiot but he cracked me up. It's hard not to want a friend like Chop or say Danny who is a total nutcase but I loved him. He made me smile and laugh throughout the series especially when he was explaining to Rae how to get out of the friend zone.

Danny is just such a great character and I loved how he cared for Tix even after she beats the shit out of him with a lunch tray.

This is such a great show that I don't think all that many people know about. It's honest and doesn't sugar coat mental illness. And the fact that it's set in 1996 made it even that more interesting. I loved it so much I had to blog about it and spread the word about it's awesome. Now I'm going to go rewatch all scenes with Finn....no shame, no shame.







1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I've never heard of this one before but it looks like it could be fun to watch. And now you've got me wanting to meet Finn!! :)

    ReplyDelete