Dec 30, 2013

Confessions Of An Almost Girlfriend

I learned quick that once you read a book by Louise Rozett you're a fan instantly. It's impossible not to get caught up in her character's narration. If I thought I loved Louise's writing in her debut novel Confessions of an Angry Girl I certainly fell even more in love with it in Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend. 


Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...

...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.

When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself


Rose Zarelli is starting her Sophomore year as a 2.0 she's going to be a new and improved self. Meaning she isn't going to get into any other peoples problems, learn to keep her mouth shut, and deal with her anger. Yeah, easier said than done...

Rose is one of the most relatable characters I have ever read about. She's one of my favorites because of this fact. In the first book she's a very quiet, awkward, angry teenager but now she's a sassy, outspoken, and still angry teenager. I love her. Her character growth is so amazing. She really finds herself in Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend. Sure it takes some bumps in the road to get there but by the end of things Rose is no longer avoiding mirrors because for once she likes what she see's. And I gotta say I am loving the direction Louise Rozett is taking Rose's life. That last chapter? Perfect. Rose was in her element.

 My favorite part about this book was that I never predicted anything that took place. Almost all of it was unexpected and I loved that. I'm so used to having an idea of the path a character is going to take but with these books I had no idea. Whether it be Rose or Peter or even Tracy I never expected that was how things would go for them. It made the reading experience better somehow.

Jamie Forta is a character who I adored in the first book but I found myself disappointment and annoyed with him in this one. Don't get me wrong my heart still fluttered anytime he was around and he still has some kissing talent going on but he gave so many mixed signals to Rose and little to no explanations half the time that I wanted to shake him. I understand he has a rough past and it was great getting to understand him a bit better because he was such a mystery in the first book. I still really like Jamie but at the same time I just can't shake my disappointment in him. See what I mean about all te unexpected with this book? That is something I was not expecting! I was expecting to write how much I loved, loved, loved Jamie Forta in this review and instead I'm writing about how much he drove me crazy. Boys. Le sigh. 

A part of me still really loves Robert. And oddly enough a part of me kind of wants Rose to realize Robert is a great guy. Again with the unexpected! Sure he's kind of a pathological liar...yet he has his charming moments. I loved the way Louise portrayed Robert in this book. He's moved on from Rose for the most part yet it's obvious he still cares for her despite how mean she can be to him at times. And he's found something he really loves! 

At one point I hated Tracy. She was a shitty friend in my opinion but now Tracy has grown up a bit and I kind of like her. She's no longer focused on being a cheerleader and actually finds something she's really talented at and could open doors for her. Peter is another character who I have to mention. I adored him in the first book and still did in this one. But man, I wasn't not expecting his life to spiral out of control like that! It made me cringe and miss caring older brother Peter. There were a few moments where that old brother was but not all that often. He and Rose have some patching up to do...

I really enjoyed this book and Louise Rozett's writing was even better this time around. And that is saying something because her writing in the first book was superb. I started the book and couldn't put it down because with each turn of the page there were more entrapping words. Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend is getting 4.5 out of 5 birds. I would recommend anyone read this book because it's a really real and honest story with a narrator who doesn't sugar coat things. One of my favorite things. Definitely start this series if you haven't already! 





1 comment:

  1. I loved this book also! And I relate to every word you said in this review.

    ReplyDelete