Nov 25, 2013

The Hunger Games

I read The Hunger Games a couple years back before I started this blog. It was such a different book for me because at the time I hadn't read anything like it. And to this day I haven't read many books like it. I doubt I ever will. There's something really unique about this book and the second time around reading it I am just as engrossed.


In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature


Set in the future kids are pitted agaisnt each other in The Hunger Games where only one can come out alive. For Katniss fighting to live everyday is her life. But surviving The Hunger Games is a whole other way of struggling to survive. 

Katniss Everdeen is a very depressing yet strong character. Normally I don't think I would like a character like Katniss but oddly enough I really like her. She's very aloof and indifferent a lot of the time and yet she's also very caring and loving. But I think she has to keep herself unattached from people otherwise it will only bring pain. Gale and her sister Prim are the only two people you really know she cares about in the beginning but as the book progress and Katniss has to survive in the games she becomes stronger than she was and more caring. Not only does she care for Rue but deep down she cares for Peeta as well. She says it's all for the games and most of the time it is but there are moments when Katniss genunily does care for him.

Speaking of Peeta he is an interesting character. I really liked him from the beginning. He's quiet sarcastic yet genuine at the same time. Like Katniss I was a bit unsure of him at the beginning. I wasn't sure if his motives were pure or not. But he does turn out to be a really great guy which he was from the very beginning. I mean he is the boy with the bread after all. Always helping Katniss even when she doesn't even realize it.

All though Gale is a great friend to Katniss I never could decide if I like him or not. Even now after reading the book a second time around I'm still not sure how I feel about him. He's the guy who always puts himself at risk to keep his family fed. That is something great but at the same time I felt like I couldn't really get a feel of who Gale really was. He had fire in him of course but I just didn't feel like I really got to know him which I feel is why I'm so unsure of his character.

The Hungers Games is one of those timeless books. No matter how many times you read it it will always be just as good if not better. I'm giving The Hunger Games 5 out of 5 birds. Suzanne Collins has created a world like no other and I'm excited to see where she takes things with the next two books. Because after the way The Hunger Games ended I need my hands on Catching Fire.  I'd recommend anyone read this book! I'm not one who easily falls into Dystopian books but boy did I get caught up in this one right away.


1 comment:

  1. Huh. When I read it first I loved it, but over the years i have grown tired of it. Maybe it's just me??
    -xoxo,E

    ReplyDelete