Nov 30, 2013

Mockingjay

The moment I finished Catching Fire I knew there was no way I would be able to read anything else. I'd have to start Mockingjay the final book in the series right away. And I did. For the conclusion of this series I feel like I was pleased with it.


 Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.


Things are in an all out war as District by District rebels against the Capitol and President Snow. Soon rebels are coming together ready to be rid of The Hunger Games and set fire to the Capitol. Katniss Everdeen isn't sure if she wants to be the Mockingjay or not and she struggles to come to terms that she is the spark that started this revolution.

I really enjoy Katniss as a protagonist. Her voice is so different than from what I'm used to and I find that will each book I love her even more. She's angry and trying to make sense of everything since all that went down in Catching Fire. It's a lot to process and I understand why she felt betrayed by Haymitch. Throughout the book I felt Katniss really changed from who she was in The Hunger Games. Though essentially she still is a child I felt like she wasn't not really. She had to grow up and grow up she did. She became everyone's hope for a better life even if she didn't feel she was their hope.

Buttercup and Katniss. They have never been one to like each other. I mean Katniss shoves him in her game bag and then forgets he's in there and drags the bag down the stairs. Buttercup is a cat by the way in case you haven't read the previous books. It's never been a match made in heaven but I adored the way Katniss and Buttercup bonded at the end of this book. It was so sweet to me and something I had not been expecting. 

A lot goes down in this book but out of everything that happened there is one event I keep thinking about. It involves probably the character who quickly out shined everyone and became one of my favorites. Finnick Odair. He has gone through so much and for a moment you think he's finally going to get a good life. And then nope. I still can't process why it had to happen. Needless to say I had to reread it over and over to make sure that was really what the words were saying. I'm still in denial a bit because honestly, was that necessary? I'm gutted.



Why yes, Finnick Odair got a gif in one of my reviews. He just. Ugh. On the bright side (kind of depending on how you look at it) Suzanne Collins made Finnick and even more amazing character in Mockingjay. You really get a sense of who he is as a person. I loved the insight into his past even though it was a dark one. And his love for Annie. Sigh. 

Poor Peeta. He didn't deserve what happened to him. Not at all. But what I love most about the way Suzanne Collins portrayed Peeta's 'hijiking' is that despite all odds he was strong enough to fight it. Granted it took a long time and he'll never really be the same but he fought it. Because he loved Katniss so much.

It wouldn't be a Suzanne Collins book if characters didn't die. I mean you pretty much go into having to be prepared for it. Yet when it happens it still is somewhat shocking. A lot of good characters die throughout this series. So many. But what I loved is they aren't forgotten. What Katniss did at the end of the book with Peeta I loved. It was a perfect way to show that these people weren't ever going to be forgotten. They weren't just a piece in the games. 

I'm satisfied with how this series ended. Mockingjay like the previous two books in the series kept me hooked and thinking just one more chapter. Of course it always was a chapter or two more. Never just one. Despite feeling like Suzanne Collins concluded this series well I felt like Katniss wasn't all that happy. I don't know if she ever truly will be but the way her tone was portrayed just sounded sad to me. Which makes sense all she went through. And even though I say that I don't think it's that she's really unhappy but that she will never really be hundred percent well I suppose. She'll always have her past weigh on her even if she is satisfied with her life.

I'm giving Mockingjay 4.5 out of 5 birds. Like I said in my Catching Fire review this series is timeless and in the back of my mind I will always think about it. It's one you don't forget. Especially it's wonderful characters those still living and those who were lost. Suzanne Collins is brilliant and I hope to see more work from her in the near furture!



1 comment:

  1. Oh Finnick! Wasn't that the worst?! When I first read Mockingjay I had to reread every time someone died just to make sure it actually happened. But with Finnick I actually wanted to scream. It still kills me just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete