Nov 26, 2013

Catching Fire

After finishing The Hunger Games a few years back I immediately wanted to get my hands on the next book Catching Fire but I never did. Finally I bought the next two books in the series and started Catching Fire. I have to say I really enjoyed this one even more so than the first book.


 Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel in the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.


The moment Katniss brought out those berries she sparked something within all the districts. She may have saved their lives in the arena but she's brought on something much more dangerous than the games they survived. 

Katniss Everdeen is growing to be one of my favorite characters. She's very distant from people in the first book but in Catching Fire she finally allows herself to admit that she cares about these people Haymitch, Effie, Peeta and even Mags and Finnick once she gets into the arena. She's battling with PSTD which was something that was bound to occur. But I loved how Suzzane Collins portrayed it in Katniss. It felt really real and true. What I loved most about Katniss in this book was how much she wanted to save Peeta this time around when they are forced back into the arena. To me that spoke volumes about Katniss and her growth as a person.

The book picks up nine months after Katniss and Peeta have won the games and they are on their victory tour. I wasn't sure at first if I would find this all that interesting but in fact I did. The first half of the book takes place on this tour and then mostly in district twelve and I really enjoyed that aspect of this book. Whereas with the first one your thrust into getting ready for the games and then right into the arena.

If I thought I liked Peeta in The Hunger Games I grew to love him in Catching Fire. He wasn't just the boy with the bread anymore. My favorite part was when he tossed out Haymitch's booze and told them how things we're going to go. That made me love him for putting Haymitch and Katniss in gear. I felt like Peeta grew into a stronger character in this book. He's sarcastic, sweet, and unbelievably caring.

I'd heard a little bit about Finnick Odair. Mostly just people fangirling over him. I figured there was a reason for this but boy do I get it now. Finnick and his sugar cubes. You think he's this cocky pretty faced guy and in fact he is that. But beneath that person is someone who's caring and loyal. I adore this character. And I loved how he pushed Katniss buttons in the beginning. And the more of Finnick there was in the arena the more I loved him. Can I demand a book with nothing and anything involving Finnick?

The arena is very different in this book than it was in the first. It's much more intense and the moment Katniss was in the arena I couldn't stop turning the page. There was always something happening whether it be the jabber jays or a fog that you sure as heck don't want to touch. And of course a lot of characters die but the thing about this book is I was attached to a lot of them. Whereas with the first book that wasn't the case. So many feelings while reading this book!

Catching Fire was an amazing sequel that I couldn't put down once I really sat down to read it. I'm giving Catching Fire 5 out of 5 birds. It was just so good with so many new additions of characters that I couldn't get enough of. I'd recommend this series to anyone who loves an amazing series.





1 comment:

  1. I definitely loved this one, I am kinda over the first but this one is pure brilliance.

    ReplyDelete