Oct 15, 2013

Cheating On Myself

After reading None Of The Regular Rules by Erin Downing I knew that I was a fan of her writing style so I was thrilled when she contacted me to read her current new release Cheating On Myself her very first book geared towards adults. Granted, I haven't read many--if any adult books but I feel like this was a good start for me in this genre!



 What happens when good enough just isn't enough anymore?

Stella Dahl assumed her life was as good as it was ever going to get. But after twelve years with a man who’s more a habit than husband material, she walks out on her bland existence, determined to start over. Goaded by her friends and a group of crass retirees she befriends at water aerobics, Stella plunges back into the dating pool. After a few false starts, she meets Joe, the sexy banjo player in a popular children’s band. He’s cocky, a smirking flirt, and a musician...everything she’s *not* looking for in a guy. Even still, she begins to fall — hard.

Just when Stella is beginning to think she could find true happiness, a family tragedy turns her world upside down. As she tries to hold together everything that’s crumbling around her, Stella starts slipping back into old habits — and away from Joe. Soon, she begins to wonder: Is she really destined for anything more than a life that’s good enough?


Stella has always stuck to the plan she figured out for herself when she was fifteen. All the little boxes are checked off...expect one. And soon Stella finds herself ending her twelve year relationship and seeking to find out who she is on her own without others influencing her thoughts. 

Stella is one of those characters who finds herself  stuck in a life she doesn't actually want. She thought--and at times still thinks that this is the life she wants. But once she ends things with her boyfriend of twelve years she begins to see he wasn't what she wanted. And then of course because she's thirty five and hasn't been on a date since college she frets about getting back into the dating scene. She was an enjoyable character to read about. I really enjoyed how she grew from the beginning to the end. She began to think for herself and wasn't so serious by the end of the book.

Throughout the course of the book Stella has doubts about ending her relationship with Erik. It drove me crazy because Erik doesn't deserve her. He's too...boring and well stiff as some of the characters refer to him. I just didn't like how he wasn't open minded about things. For example the whole thing about because he had already been to Italy it wasn't worth going again even though Stella made it clear just how much she would love to see Italy. But no. Of course Erik got his way and they went to London. 

Joe was an interesting character. At first he seems like a real player and at one point in his life he was. But the more he opened up to Stella and the more she allowed him into her life you began to realize he was actually genuinely into Stella. And to boot he's a banjo playing slash singer in a children's band. I found this really funny about Joe. But it was great because he was so great with kids that of course it made him sexier. 

There is a whole lot of great characters in this book from Lily to Heather and Anders. Who I totally thought secretly had a thing for Stella. But I was wrong! I really adored Anders though. He was such a sweet and funny character. Loved how things turned out for him. 

Yet again Erin's writing had me hooked. Once I started Cheating On Myself I couldn't stop reading. I was too curious about what would happen with Stella and I really love how it all turned out. She figured out her life for herself. Erin Downing ended it perfectly. I'm giving Cheating On Myself 3.9 out of 5 birds. It's such a cute and quick read! It left me smiling after I finished it. I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a good quick read.




No comments:

Post a Comment