Sep 5, 2013

Gilt

For me I've never been one to easily fall into historical fiction. I've always found it very hard to fall into the flow of many authors writing but with Gilt by Katherine Longshore the moment I started the book I was drawn in and the writing flowed beautifully. If anything all I want now is to read nothing but historical fiction!


In the court of King Henry VIII, nothing is free--
and love comes at the highest price of all.

When Kitty Tylney's best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII's heart and brings Kitty to court, she's thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat's shadow, Kitty's now caught between two men--the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat's meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head.


Kitty Tylney is Catherine Howard's best friend. She's the only person she has. When their dream comes true and they are taken into Henry's court Kitty soon begins to see that court isn't all it's cracked up to be and the people you think are you're closest friends are only out for themselves.

I have never been a person who could really get into historical fiction. I've read one other book that was set in a historical time and it was okay but it took me a long time to read it and I never fully understood it all or if I really liked it even. With Gilt something just sparked. I fell in love with the story and the characters from page one.

Kitty Tylney was an interesting character. I really loved her voice and seeing how she grew into a woman throughout the book. She's the type of character who no one really notices but deserves to be noticed. She's intelligent and beautiful in her own way. Katherine Longshore created such a strong voice for her that it was impossible not to get sucked into her story.

Catherine Howard is such a self centered wench. I called it. Out of all of King Henry's wives she has to be the worst. She's just so terrible and I love how Katherine Longshore portrayed her. I had times where I wanted to compare her to what I knew about Catherine Howard but Katherine did such a fantastic job of giving her a voice different from what I knew that I stopped. She just became the Catherine Howard that Katherine Longshore had created. A witch at that but I loved that about Katherine's writing! She didn't hold back with Catherine.

If I hadn't recently finished watching the HBO show The Tudors I probably never would have thought to pick up this book. It was historical fiction--not my thing but I needed more about King Henry and his wives and boy am I happy I picked up this book! If I wasn't a fan before I am one now. Katherine Longshore's way of writing is so mesmerizing and captivating that I wanted nothing more than to keep reading her work until I've read everything she's published!

I loved the love story between William and Kitty. It may not have been like most love stories that I'm used to but it was a refreshing one. There was something about the simplicity of it that made is so much more to love! William truly cared about Kitty and I loved his genuineness.

Gilt is a beautifully written historical read that takes you into King Henry's court in a way that leaves you wanting more. One who isn't big on historical fiction I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone I loved it so much. Gilt is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me! I can't wait to get my hands on the next book Tarnish!



No comments:

Post a Comment