Jul 2, 2013

Passion and Pain

Initially this review was supposed to be posted for a blog tour. I was thrilled to be asked to review this book because I thought it sounded so interesting. Who doesn't want to read a book about dance? Unfortunately I couldn't get into Passion and Pain and I had to mark it did-not-finish.

Summary from Goodreads:

 Does passion and desire guarantee success? Can friends really be trusted? Can true love be found beneath lust and deceit?

These are questions tenacious street dancer Elena Martinez faces as she struggles to compete against the most talented students at New York’s top Performing Arts High School. Along with her best friend, the carefree and mischievous Sebastien Duval, they are determined to make center stage.

But the singing diva Letitia has other plans. Beautiful, talented and popular, her desire for revenge could ruin everything for Elena and Sebastien. Now, they must fight against prejudice, treachery and deceit as Letitia sets out to destroy Elena’s friendships, her romance, her dignity and her dreams. Can Elena win the battle for true love, happiness and success?


Elena Martinez isn't a girl from a family of wealth but she finds herself competing agaisnt some very talented people at New York's top performing arts school. I had a really hard time getting to know Elena as a character. I never felt like I could connect to her. She just didn't feel like she was fully developed to me. Often times she got on my nerves because she'd fall into the superficial traps such as Letitia and obsessing over Jay. The one thing I did like about Elena was her relationship with Seb but I just felt like she wasn't a relateable or well developed character. Though I think Elena could have been a really nice character if she was flushed out a bit more. She definitely had the potential there!


When I first started this book I really liked it I loved how Kathy started things off with Elena and Sebastien as young kids. It felt like a strong opening to me and I loved how Elena handled things. And of course right away I loved scrawny Sebastien. He honestly was the only character who I really loved in this book from what I had read. He felt like the only character who was really developed fully and he was the main reason I kept reading until I finally realized this book wasn't for me.

Kathy Petrakis writing felt like it could have been better. I could see that she definitely was a writer but I just wasn't feeling it with this story. It didn't seem to flow naturally to me and it might have been because she wrote it in third person. I never take well to third person. Something about it always makes it hard for me to get into a book. It just depends on how the authors writing is too and with Passion and Pain I just couldn't get lost in the writing like I would have liked.

As stated above I didn't finish this book which is why it's only getting 1 out of 5 birds. I got to about the eighty page mark and even then I probably should have stopped sooner. It wasn't that this book was completely terrible because it wasn't. A lot of the reviews I have seen people adored this book. But for me I just wasn't one of them. But that doesn't mean that you won't like the book. Everyone's tastes are different which is why I never tell someone not to read a book. Read it because you might just enjoy it but for me it wasn't a winner. But I could see the potential that the story had.




1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one more. I haven't read it, but I have read a few excerpts and it really wasn't for me either. But like you said, I've seen a lot of positive reviews from people who have really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete