Jun 16, 2013

Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me

Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me was a book who's cover really drew me in. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book but what I got was a really wonderful story that had me engrossed from page one.

Summary from Goodreads:

 KJ Carson lives an outdoor lover’s dream. The only daughter of a fishing and wildlife guide, KJ can hold her own on the water or in the mountains near her hometown outside Yellowstone National Park. But when she meets the shaggy-haired, intensely appealing Virgil, KJ loses all self-possession. And she’s not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that they’re assigned to work together on a school newspaper article about the famous wolves of Yellowstone. As KJ spends time with Virgil, she also spends more time getting to know a part of her world that she always took for granted . . . and she begins to see herself and her town in a whole new light.


KJ Carson lives in Montana where the wolves have recently been reintroduced into Yellow Stone National Park. She finds herself writing an article in her school paper about the wolves and it causes an uproar in her small little town. Not to mention she's socially awkward and trouble seems to be her specialty.

I had a vague idea of what this book was about but it had been a long time since I'd read what exactly this book entailed. I was looking for books to bring with me to the barn that could keep me busy for two weeks and this happened to be one of the ones I picked. The cover sucked me in every time I looked at it. Turns out the story inside is just as good!

KJ Carson I found so real. She was totally clumsy, at times down right awkward and when she got nervous her neck broke out. I could relate to all of that! I loved that about this book! There is nothing better than a character who feels real and you're not constantly thinking why in the world would she do that? You just get it because you can relate so much to her.

Virgil was such an odd character to me. He wasn't the typical YA boy and at points it was refreshing to have such a different character but at the same time it was hard to understand Virgil. I don't even know where to begin to discuss him other than I thought it was great he was a vegetarian. He was a great character but he didn't have my heart fluttering or leave all that much of an impression.

The only way I can think to describe Virgil's relationship with KJ is...well complicated. They bicker more than they do get along yet they some how at the end of the day care for each other. It felt realistic to me how things went with these two. Things didn't move quick with these two and I liked that. I also loved that the book wasn't focused on the love interest but rather the story at hand: the wolves.

I love wolves. They are beautiful animals and I loved how the story revolved around them. The way KJ admired the wolves was wonderful. I could understand where she was coming from. This whole book is full of nature and animals and I adored every bit of it! There was something so unexpected with each turn of the pager. I never knew what was coming and not once did I go that was so predictable. This book kept me on my toes wondering how things would end. It's been a long time since that happened.

Kristen Chandler has a beautiful writing style. The voice she created for KJ was fresh and realistic. I can't wait to read another book by her! Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill me is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me! I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend people read it. The imagery is vivid and anyone who loves the outdoors or even the idea of it will enjoy this book. It was a beautiful story!









1 comment:

  1. From the outside this book screams "WEREWOLVES" but from your review I'm sensing just a very nice and unique contemporary that features wolves. I think I could enjoy this one for the most part but I'd have a hard time getting through it with only luke warm feelings towards the male lead. Great review, Bailey :)

    ReplyDelete