Jun 22, 2013

Survive

Survive is a book that I forgot about but the moment I saw it's cover I knew it was on my to-be-read list. It was a bargain so I bought it and read it in two days. It's one of those books you're not sure about at first only to find you really enjoy it afterwards.

Summary from Goodreads:

 Hatchet meets Lost in this modern-day adventure tale of one girl's reawakening

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive.


Jane is a suicidal teenager who got the okay to fly home for the holidays. Little do her doctors know she plans to take a bottle of pills in the bathroom on the plane. Her plan doesn't work out and the plane she's on crashes leaving her and a guy she barely knows stranded in the middle of a blizzard.


When I fist started Survive I wasn't sure if I would like it. In the beginning Jane is very depressing. She's going to try and kill herself again and she's so paranoid that her plan is going to be messed up. Since she's a planner that gives her major anxiety. But the moment that plane crashes Jane changes and I found myself completely invested in her fight for survival. I grew to like her and I loved how she began to find herself and figure out that she didn't actually want to die.

I really adored Paul. He was a very interesting character. He was actually a very sweet guy but at first you aren't to sure because he makes all these jokes that are inappropriate. It's his quirk when he's nervous. I loved learning about Paul's back story and I loved how he didn't treat Jane differently just because she tried to kill herself. He understood her and helped her realize so many things about herself and her life. I was really attached to this character and there were moments that I got all choked up because of certain events.

Survive is a very fast paced book and I had a hard time not wanting to turn the page. I had to find out what would happen to Jane and Paul. I was so invested in their survival. There was never a dull moment after the plane crashes. Everything is go, go, go, survive, survive, survive! It made it such an easy fast read.

Though I wasn't too sure about this book in the beginning I ended up really loving it and the ending was great. It made me smile and want to cry a little bit. Alex Morel's style of writing was different but in the best possible way. He created characters that you hoped would survive by the end of the book and a story that will haunt you. Just the thought of being on that plane and having to survive in those conditions makes my gut hurt. And he did a wonderful job making it all feel so real!

Survive by Alex Morel is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me. The beginning of the book made me cautious but once on the plane things move quick and are action packed! I really loved this book and look forward to reading more by Alex Morel. I'd definitely recommend everyone read this book. It was so good and it's a fast read which was nice!


2 comments:

  1. i also forgot about this book. Its nice to know it starts depressing but to hang on... it gets better. I have a hard time getting through depressing books at times. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this book for the longest time and then I forgot about it when it came out! Gah! Thank you for reminding me! It sounds so good. The girl having to survive despite wanting to kill herself reminds me a little of This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers. You know, without the zombies :) I am definitely getting my hands on this one as soon as I have the chance.

    ReplyDelete