Jun 23, 2013

Just Read It!: How My Summer Went Up In Flames


As our June Read for our Just Read It! Book Club Lexi from The Literature Lion and I decided we were going to read How My Summer Went Up In Flames. I was really excited to read this one and once I started this book I could not stop reading it!

Summary from Goodreads:

 Rosie’s always been impulsive. She didn’t intend to set her cheating ex-boyfriend’s car on fire. And she never thought her attempts to make amends could be considered stalking. So when she’s served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she’s heartbroken—and furious.

To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie’s parents send her on a cross-country road trip with responsible, reliable neighbor Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road, Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with each passing mile. Because Rosie’s spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new.



Rosie sets her ex-boyfriends car on fire--by accident. She tries to figure out what went wrong only for it to be taken as stalking. Next thing Rosie knows she's being served a TRO--Temporary Restraining Order and her parents force her to go on a road trip with Matty a neighbor who is practically family and two strange boys she doesn't know. It makes for an interesting road trip...

Rosie is a very interesting main character. At first I wasn't sure what to expect because the summary makes it sound like she actually loses it. Which is and isn't the case. Sure she receives a Temporary Restraining Order but she doesn't deserve it that's for sure. I really enjoyed Rosie as the narrator. She's impulsive, stubborn and often gets herself into trouble without thinking. I think what I loved most about her was she felt so real. She's flawed. She knows she's flawed and she does her best to accept them and try and change some of her impulsive nature. She also had a really  great heart it sometimes took her a bit to show it.

There was one thing about Rosie that bothered me and that was that she so easily fell for guys. This bothered me a bit but I loved how she dealt with all of her emotions by the end of the book. She starts off so easily charmed but by the end of things she really grows into herself.  

I adored this book and it's setting. There is something about a book that's all about a road trip that I just love. I haven't read that many but of the ones I have read I've adored and How My Summer Went Up In Flames is one of them. Jennifer Salvato Doktorski did a fantastic job with creating a road trip that I wish I could have been along on. It seemed like so much fun! And besides who wouldn't want to be stuck in a car with Spencer, Logan and Matty?

Logan, Matty and Spencer. Those boys were one of my favorite part of this book. I adored them to pieces. Each one I loved for different reasons. Matty is the boy next door. He's the best guy friend that every girl wants. He's sweet, sarcastic, quirky and just plan lovable. He's the brother from another mother type of character. I really loved Matty!

Spencer is the nerd who knows all these facts and isn't afraid to share them. He's sweet, loyal and down right lovable. Logan. Oh man. I was intrigued by him right of the bat. He's very snarky in the beginning but the longer they are in the car the more he lets loose and you get to see what he's all about. He was so many awesome things. He was cocky but also a bit nerdy. He was sweet but also wasn't afraid to pick on Rosie. Pretty much he was so freaking lovable. It's a bit of a trend with Jennifer Salvato Doktorski. She creates such lovable characters.

This book sucked me in from page one. I knew I would like this book but I didn't realize I'd love it so much that I couldn't put it down. I had to see what would happen next. The writing is great. The characters are developed great. The plot was at just the right pace. It's one of those books that I love so much I just want to toss it at people and say read this awesome book!

How My Summer Went Up In Flames is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. It's a perfect summer read just beware after reading this book you will want to go on a road trip. I could keep listing the things I love about this book but I won't. Just read this book! It's an adorable, fun, summer read.




1 comment:

  1. This one sounds so awesome! I love that you loved the main character. The blurb makes her sound a little nutty, but I like that she was so real. The boys sound awesome and the road trip! I want to go on one!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete