May 14, 2013

The Catastrophic History Of You And Me

The Catastrophic History Of You And Me is a book that I've wanted to read since before it's release. But like with so many other books I couldn't wait to read it somehow got pushed back. Well recently I decided "Hey! I'm gonna finally read this one." So glad I did because I loved this book so much! It was a fantastic read.

Summary from Goodreads:


Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


Brie dies of a broken heart...literally. Her heart breaks in half and she finds her self Dead and Gone and she has to deal with all the stages that come along with dying. It's not easy to do when you're not ready to let go of your life, your family, your friends, and even the boy who broke her heart.

Well, let me start off by saying I adored this book. From page one I was hooked. The further I read and the more the plot progressed I just found myself wanting to do nothing but read this book. Part of that reason was because the main character Brie is such an awesome main character. She goes through so many emotions through out all the six parts of the book. I loved getting to experience her anger, denial and sadness and so much more. Her voice was honestly so real I felt like I was reading about an actual fifteen year old girl. She was just created so well and her voice had such a real feel to it that I couldn't help but get so invested in her story...journey really.


Patrick, you goofball. I one hundred percent loved this character. From the moment he appears in his 80's style jacket I was like "Hmm you're gonna be an interesting character." And he was. He was amazing to be honest. He made this book ten times better. Everything that came out of his mouth made me smile. I could not get enough of his cheese nicknames that he always called Brie from Cheetos to String Cheese. If I am being totally honest I could not get enough of anything that Patrick said. He had some of the best dialogue and combine that with Brie's come backs? Absolute gold!

There was something really creative about the world that Jess Rothenberg created. I loved how I could picture everything in my head perfectly. There's this one scene where Brie flips out and she's someplace really really high with Patrick and that whole scene was so vivid! I loved it! Jess Rothenberg has written such an outstanding debut novel. I am eager to see what she comes up with next.

Though I thought Jess Rothenberg's writing was superb and her creativity and character development was even more superb there was some predictability...on my end at least. I figured out quite a bit of stuff before it happened.  Just an example would be why Jacob broke up with Brie. I just wanted to point that out because even though it was predictable it didn't make me enjoy the book any less.

Something that isn't really relevant to the writing but this book not only had an awesome story but I for one loved how each part of the book had an awesome thing at the top of the page. I love it when books have images like that. It just makes me want to hug the book for taking the time to get creative like that. Well, not the book itself but you get my drift. I also really loved that each chapter started out with lyrics from different songs at the top. Hello so many good songs! I loved it because it always created a mood for that certain chapter and I'd get the songs stuck in my head and I don't know I just really enjoyed it!

The Catastrophic History Of You And Me is an outstanding and well written novel that I think anyone would enjoy. Especially those who love contemporary reads. This one is for you guys! You will adore it to pieces. I know I did, which is why I'm giving it 4.5 out of 5 birds. The moment you start the book you get engrossed and you get so lost in the story that time just vanishes. I'd recommend this one in a heart beat!









1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a cute read. I also love when they're goodies at the beginning of each chapter. Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler is a great example. Each chapter starts off with a cupcake recipe -- yum!!!

    ReplyDelete