Apr 10, 2013

Forty Days

I was familiar with Stephenie Parents work as I had read her in verse novel and enjoyed it. So when I had the chance to review her new book Forty Days I totally took the chance and I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this one!

Summary from Goodreads: 

 The entire village knows Neima’s grandfather is a madman. For years the old man has prophesied that a great flood is coming, a flood disastrous enough to blot out the entire earth. He’s even built an enormous ark that he claims will allow his family to survive the deluge. But no one believes the ravings of a lunatic…

…until the rain starts. And doesn’t stop. Soon sixteen-year-old Neima finds her entire world transformed, her life and those of the people she loves in peril. Trapped on the ark with her grandfather Noah, the rest of her family, and a noisy, filthy, and hungry assortment of wild animals, will Neima find a way to survive?

With lions, tigers, and bears oh my, elephants and flamingos too, along with rivalries and betrayals, a mysterious stowaway, and perhaps even an unexpected romance, FORTY DAYS is not your grandfather’s Noah’s Ark story
.


Forty Days is an interesting take on Noah's Ark and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit hesitant because of it being a religious story and sometimes those feel a bit pushy but this one wasn't at all. And though it was based on something religious I really didn't feel like it was solely focused on religion. Yes, it's about Noah's Ark but it was also about Nemia and how she and everyone else on the ark handled pretty much the end of the world. I really liked that about this book.

Nemia was a character who I found to like. She knew how to take care of herself and I really loved how she cared for the animals on the ark. I found I could relate to the way she constantly felt an attachment to certain animals and would give them names. That was so something I would do. And I would definitely get attached to the elephants like Nemia did.

Jorin is a character who I really liked and knew I'd like the moment he appeared in the book. He was just that type of guy that I loved. It was pretty obvious that he liked Nemia but she was oblivious of that fact. There wasn't as much of Jorin as I would have liked but I hope there is plenty more of him in the next one!

Stephenie Parent's writing really shines in this book. I feel like even though her in verse writing is beautiful her writing is even better in this book. From the very first line her writing is very vivid and easy to fall into. The only thing was I felt at certain points the book was a bit slow but not so slow I wanted to stop reading.

This is a pretty short book and it's easy to go through it quickly and the way it ends is such a cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what happens next! I really really hope that it a certain something doesn't happen. If anything happens to a certain character I am gonna be so sad!

Forty Days is a really quick and easy read. You instantly get caught up in the chaos that is the flood and what it's like to be trapped inside an ark full of animals. Forty Days is getting 4 out of 5 birds from me! Anyone who reads this book will be eager for the next one to come out.






~~Thanks to Stephenie Parent for a copy of this book!~~






No comments:

Post a Comment