Apr 11, 2013

Dead Silence Blog Tour: Review

Today I'll be sharing my review with you guys for Dead Silence as well as a small teaser by Kimberly Derting which will be released on April 13th! I really adore this series so I'm thrilled to be apart of the Dead Silence blog tour being hosted by Candace's Book Blog!


I don't recommend reading this review if you are not familiar with this series. There may be some spoilers for previous books. 

I have been a fan of this series from book one. I've loved each book and with how the last one was--incredibly creepy and addicting--I couldn't wait to get my hands on Dead Silence. And now that I've read it and loved it...I can't believe this series is over.


Summary from Goodreads:


Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.


Violet being Violet stumbles across some bodies and of course she soon finds herself tangled up in a mess of things as they try and figure out why these people were murdered in the first place.

I'm still a bit hung up about how this book ended knowing that this is intended to be the last book. One, there has to be more and two, there has to be more! It can't end like that! Oy. I'll talk more about the ending in a bit.

Violet isn't like herself throughout half of this book. She doesn't really start acting like herself again until about the 180 page mark. Considering the events that took place in The Last Echo this is totally understandable. She went through some serious stuff. I really loved how she dealt with things and when she was finally becoming Violet again she was becoming a more badass version. She was toughening up and she wasn't gonna hold back on things anymore. I loved that about her character development! I felt like though she never really was ashamed of her talent she was finally fully accepting it for what it was and it's presence in her life.

Jay, oh Jay. My affection for this character dimmed a bit in the last book because of the certain presence of another character *cough* Rafe *cough* Well, despite my sorta-kinda-maybe-possibly switching teams Jay shines in this book reminding me why I loved him so much in the first place. Like as with Violet, Jay really grew as a character in Dead Silence. The only way I feel I can put it is he became a man. Not that he isn't still silly and romantic and teasing Jay because he was but I felt he grew up a lot in this book.

Just because Jay had my heart fluttering like in the very first book doesn't mean Rafe was pushed to the side...because he wasn't. Not one bit. I secretly was hoping there would have been more explored with Rafe and Violet. Dare I say it. But it's true. I really loved Rafe and his loner self. Throughout the book I kept sort of wishing that Violet would just admit she liked Rafe in that way...but then something happened. I can't say what but I like what Kimberly Derting did with Rafe and Violet. It felt right the way things turned out with them.

As per usual we get glimpses into the killers head and compared to the last book this one wasn't as creepy. I am pleased and disappointed about this at the same time. Pleased because the creep level in The Last Echo was at full blast and it really freaked me out at times! Disappointing because I kind of wanted that creepy feeling back because it kept me so engaged. Even without the creepy factor that was at full blast in The Last Echo this book was still fantastic and I enjoyed getting insight into the killer. I always loved that about this series it made it unique and something to look forward to. It always allowed me to see why they were doing the things they were doing and that always brought something great to this series!

Okay, back to that ending. Whoa can I just say it again that Violet turned badass? That ending was great and I loved it but it left me with so many questions. It left me wondering if this is really the last book. Possibly a spin off with a different narration from a certain character? I just have a hunch there will be more. Or maybe this is just me not wanting to let go of these characters.

Dead Silence was a fantastic read and I loved how things turned out for many of the characters in this book but I still can't believe that is how the series ended. It just can't be! Nonetheless I really enjoyed this book and it's getting 4.5 out of 5 birds from me! I never expected this was the way the series would go but it took a direction that was so intriguing and unexpected! I definitely think a lot of people will love the conclusion to the series and desperately wish there was more to come. I'd recommend this series to anyone who loves a thrilling, romantic, and heart pounding read! Here's a teaser of some of the awesome that is Dead Silence...


"Oh, and you did great down there," Rafe interrupted. "You practically made a pass at the bouncer." "What?" Violet sputtered, as Jay raised an eyebrow at her, begging for an explanation. "I did not! I was just being friendly. Besides, he seemed...nice." Jay just shook his head as Rafe shot back. "Yeah, I'm sure he was thinking the same thing about you. Such a nice little girl."



 ~~Thanks to HarperTeen for an ARC of this book!~~


 
 

Kimberly Derting is the author of the BODY FINDER series (HarperCollins) and THE PLEDGE trilogy (Simon & Schuster). She lives in the Seattle area, with her husband and three children, who often find the outrageous things they say either in the pages of her books or posted on Twitter or Facebook for the entire world to see. You can visit her website at www.kimberlyderting.com.









a Rafflecopter giveaway



 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post and for participating in the tour! :)

    - Diana @amalia_chartres

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally wanting a spinoff with Rafe as the MC! I think that would be GREAT! I'm glad you really loved this one too. I'm pretty much with you on everything you said.
    Thanks so much for hosting a tour stop and sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover.Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read another review, I get happier and happier. I love this series. I love this author. I hate that the series is ending, but I am also looking forward to it. I plan on having a Body Finder marathon when I get my hands on Dead Silence. Nobody will be allowed to interrupt the marathon! I really can't wait to read it. And I hope that there is a spin off series. I think if an author could do it, it is Kimberly Derting. She is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm EVEN MORE excited to read this series now that I know I get to meet Kimberly next month at a signing! Yaaaay!

    Thank you!
    <3,
    - Ava

    ReplyDelete