Mar 5, 2013

The Host

Stephenie Meyer is the reason I am the reader I am today. If I hadn't picked up Twilight I can honestly say I don't think I would have really gotten into books. That being said I'm surprised it took me this long to read The Host especially since after reading it and loving every bit of it.

Summary from Goodreads:

 Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring what may be the first love triangle involving only two bodies, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel that will bring a vast new readership to one of the most compelling writers of our time.


Earth has been invaded by Souls who take over human bodies. Melanie who is one of the few human resistance is captured and Wanderer is put into her body. Melanie doesn't fade away like most humans do she stays and soon Wanderer and Melanie set out to find Melanie's family.

Wow. This book is something special and after reading it it reminds me why I started going to the bookstore and buying all these books in the first place. Stephenie Meyer has a way with words and The Host is her best book yet. It was captivating and the story was so well thought out and developed I couldn't put it down and even when I had to it's all I could think about. I loved this book so much!

The Host is full of amazing characters. Each one from main to the underdogs and characters who don't have much dialogue are all well developed and their own person. It was amazing how Stephenie did that considering there are quite a few characters in this book.

Melanie Stryder was a character who I loved in the beginning and loved even more at the end of the book. She's feisty and isn't afraid to throw a punch or two. I really loved her flashbacks in the beginning of the book and even wished their had been more. My opinion on her shifted a but in the middle of the book. I thought she was a bit self-centered at times. She was so consumed by her love for Jamie and Jared that I felt at times she only thought of herself. I was proved wrong by the end of the book just how not self-centered Melanie was. Melanie was an amazing character and by the end of it all I loved her to bits.

Wanda was the opposite at the beginning I didn't really like her but then as things progressed and she started to change I found that I loved her even more than I loved Melanie. She was such an amazing character and I loved how she always put everyone else ahead of her even when they tried to kill her! She was so selfless and her love for all the humans in The Host was so great. Despite being a soul and not liking violence Wanda found her own way to be badass. She wasn't throwing punches and shooting people but she was strong in a different way than anyone else. Wanda has to be one of my new favorite protagonists.

The whole relationship between Melanie and Wanda was fantastic. I don't know how Stephanie did it but she was able to make Melanie's voice stand out despite not being herself. I loved it because you could always tell who was speaking what when it came to the internal stuff. To me it could have been something that may have gotten confusing and hard to keep straight at times but with The Host it was easy and it all just flowed naturally.

Jared and Ian were characters who I loved in different ways. Jared I was so intrigued by and loved in Melanie's memories but when we actually meet Jared he's so different than from what Melanie remembers. He's very hard and cold which was so different from the man who had hope and was always smiling. I honestly didn't really care for Jared throughout the book. It wasn't that I hated him because I didn't he was so intriguing but I just wanted to slap him sometimes because he was such a jerk. Okay so I understand why he was so upset but he could have dialed it down just a tad. He comes around though and I really did love this character despite wanting to slap him a few times.

Ian on the other hand I loved right away. This character...holy moly he made me feel so many different emotions. He was sweet and caring and yeah he was hard in the beginning and wanted Wanda dead but then he saw her for her. He was amazing and the way he cared for Wanda made my heart warm. I was more invested in Wanda and Ian than I was in Jared and Melanie's relationship. I just loved Wanda and Ian so much! I could gush about the two for hours and I'm not even kidding.


"It's not the face, but the expressions on it. It's not the voice, but what you say. It's not how you look in that body but the things you do with it. You are beautiful."


Stephenie Meyer wrote a 619 page long book that not once dragged. This book wasn't little and not once did I wonder when will it end instead I was wondering why couldn't it be longer? This book was just so amazing! I knew that I loved Stephenie Meyer's writing I mean I've devoured and reread her other books many times but this one...this one was something entirely different. Her writing really shinned in this book and if I wasn't a huge fan before--which I was by the way--I'm an even bigger fan now.

For the sake of not ruining this amazing book I won't discuss the plot other than to say it was mind blowing and amazing and not once did I see something coming. Stephenie Meyer has truly written a gem and The Host is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. Everyone needs to read this book. Don't push it aside thinking "Oh it's just another Twilight." Because people this book is so much more and so much better than Twilight. Read this book and fall in love with the characters. You will laugh, cry, gasp and feel so glad you read it.




8 comments:

  1. I actually really liked this one too! I remember reading this one in like 8th grade. I saw another friend of mine reading it during freshmen year and we just sat and talked about it the whole period during our English class. :) Great review! I had the same feelings with Jared and Ian as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really late to reading this one which I so regret!! I remember my mom reading it and totally loving it and telling me I should read it. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so hesitant to read this! I have heard it's much better than Twilight, and even though I read and mostly enjoyed the Twilight series, now that I'm a bit older, I'd feel a bit silly reading another of her books!

    But, your review has me swayed, Bails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much much better than Twilight. It's such a good story and the characters are amazing! You so need to read it Mandee! :D

      Delete
  3. OMG!! Weren't the characters simply amazeballs in this? I loved the character development and world building. This is one of my fav books of all time and really shows that Stephanie has more than 1 story to tell! So excited for the movie, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were. I loved them so much! Me too! I can't wait for the movie! I'm SO EXCITED! I get all fangirly when the trailer comes on the TV lol! :)

      Delete
  4. Yes. Just yes to this whole review! I have to agree with you when I say if it wasn't for Stephenie Meyer I would not be the reader I am today. I remember when the first Twilight movie came out and everyone was going crazy over it I said "Eh. The movie was alright, maybe I'll try the books." And I loved them. They were great. They weren't gods gift to literature or anything, but they were entertaining and I read them like I eat potato chips. I just couldn't get enough. And when they were over I felt hollow inside and needed something to fill the void. So I started reading The Host. And OMG. This book.

    I didn't have a blog at the time so I never wrote a review, but even thinking about writing one now scares me a little. I don't have the words to express how incredible this book is. There are so few books that I want to crawl into and never leave. And this was the first for me. This was my gods gift to literature. The plot, the characters, how Stephenie wrote such a long book and every time I turned a page I was sad because that was one page closer to the end. I could rant and rant about this one (as you can see ;) so ill just stop now, but amazing review!!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so hesitant to read this book. I disliked Breaking Dawn so much that I mentally swore off of SM books. However, the concept intrigues me so! If it was any other author, I'm sure I would have already given this one a go. Regardless I really want to see the movie adaption! Mainly for the two male leads *swoon*. I'm glad you liked this book. A strong group of characters, main and supporting, is so important!

    ReplyDelete