Feb 15, 2013

The Indigo Spell

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Richelle Mead. I buy her books the day they come out and devour them far to quickly and then have to wait months and months for the next one. It's a never ending thing with knowing I should read them slower only to not read them slow. But it's always worth it even if the wait for the next book is always agonizingly to long.

Note: I kept this pretty much spoiler free but I don't really recommend reading any further if you haven't read the previous books in the series.


Summary from Goodreads:

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.



Things are never easy for Sydney Sage especially when witches with vain quests are brought into the picture. Oh and not to mention the more she learns about her world the more she see's not everything she was brought up to believe is the full truth...

After the way things ended with The Golden Lily I was chomping at the bit to get my hands on this book. I mean holy moly!! That ending had my gut and heart hurting so badly. This book like pretty much every book written by Richelle Mead had me feeling just as intense emotions while reading The Indigo Spell. That's what I love most about her books. You can always expect laughter, tears, anger, and heart aches. And most of all amazing characters and a plot that always has you on your toes.

Sydney Sage is one kick-butt character. With each book I grow to love this character more and more. I love who she is turning into. I love how she's changing into this confident girl. There is so much I love about Sydney but I love how realistic she is with certain things. She has body image issues and Richelle Mead portrayed this piece of her personality so well and realistically. Most if not all girls go through this and I could relate to Sydney with this and I loved watching her grow with her issue and finally see that maybe she didn't have to worry about calories and such so much. All I know is that Sydney Sage is getting better and better with each book and I can't wait to see how things turn out for her!

Adrian...if you thought he was swoon-worthy in The Golden Lily be prepared to melt while reading The Indigo Spell. Man, just when you think he can't get any better or make your heart flutter more than before he says something that totally makes your heart melt! God, I love this character more than I ever thought I would. Adrian has to be number one on the list of my favorite book boys. Richelle Mead does just a good job with her characters and he is no exception. He's grown so much since theVampire Academy books and Bloodlines. He's turning into...well a really amazing man. All the ladies are gonna wish he was real. And man does he have some of the best dialogue ever! He never fails to say something witty that cracked me up while reading.


"I just keep hoping it will be something like 'Adrian lets go hot tubing.' or 'Adrian take me out for fondue.'"


Marcus Finch was not what I excepted. For some reason I had it in my head that this would be a pretty quiet and reserved character kind of like Dimitri but instead...he was kind of a flirt. It was unexpected but the good kind of unexpected. But if I'm totally honest I can't decided if I really trust him or not. Sure he helped Sydney with certain things but at the ending I just had this nagging feeling like maybe I shouldn't really trust the guy. I just don't know about you Marcus Finch.


I had nothing with this plot figured out. I just couldn't figure it out and I love that about Richelle Mead's books. You never know what is going to happen with each turn of the page and oh my goodness so much good happened in this book. I am one pleased fan that's for sure. There's action, drama, romance, unresolved questions and mysterious things happening. And with the way things ended I for see so much awesome coming and lots of drama. I will say that this wasn't one of Richelle Mead's endings that made me want to throw my book across the room but dang it it still has me eager for The Fiery Heart. She's always so clever and fantastic with her endings...if not a bit brutal sometimes.

There is nothing else to say really other than go read this book. The Indigo Spell is getting 5 out of 5 birds from me. It deserves a thousand birds to be totally honest. I just can't get over how awesome this book was and how much I can't wait for the next one to come out. Everyone needs to experience the awesome that is Richelle Mead. She creates such amazing characters and a world that you get so caught up in.





2 comments:

  1. AH! So jealous that you got to read this! I'm still waiting on my copy from the library. I can tell it's going to be awesome though. And I'm still VERY curious about Marcus! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you loved this one whereas I just tolerated it. I don't know what it was exactly, but for some reason I just really disliked it in comparison to the Golden Lily. Sydney is definitely evolving... slowly... I suppose. Haha. Adrian I will forever adore. I loved how reliable he was in this book. He's turning into a very strong person who you can count on. I agree with Marcus. He's pretty shady. I can almost see him betraying Sydney down the line... or at least, that's how It feels like Mead is writing him.

    ReplyDelete