Feb 22, 2013

Pieces Blog Tour: Review The Breakaway


Today I'll be taking part in Pieces by Michelle Davidson Argyle blog tour being hosted by Xpresso Book Tour. I'll be reviewing both The Breakaway and Pieces today on the blog. I was really thrilled to get the chance to take part in this blog tour. Make sure to check out the full tour schedule! 





The Breakaway was a book that once I knew about I instantly wanted to read but never seemed to get around to buying. When I came across the blog tour sign-up for the second book in the series I knew I had to sign up! I'm so glad I did because I was hooked the moment I started The Breakaway.

 Summary from Goodreads:

When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she's missing. Escape isn't high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. For the first time in her life she's part of a family-even if it is a family of criminals. But she's still a captive. In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she's falling in love with him. The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn't sure she wants to take it. 




Naomi has been kidnapped the funny thing is the longer she's surrounded by the people who took her the more she struggles with whether or not she really wants to escape and go back to a life she's not even really sure she was happy in.

The Breakaway was one of those books that once you start reading it consumes you until you read those last few words on the very last page. I was instantly captivated by its story and I wanted to know more about the characters and why they were doing the things that they were doing. The deeper I fell into the story the deeper I cared for the characters...even the ones I necessarily shouldn't have cared for. 

Naomi. Man is she one conflicted and complex character. Right off the bat she's struggling with all of these emotions and thoughts and they just intensify throughout the book. She begins to forget why she even wants to escape. She becomes attached. I've heard of people growing affection and attachment to their captors but I've never really read a book with this kind of story line. I found it really interesting because just like Naomi I had struggled with a growing attachment to the characters who kidnapped her. I knew it was wrong to like them...but I just couldn't help it! It allowed me to understand why Naomi was struggling so much with everything.


Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. He is such a complex character as well. I didn't trust him in the beginning for obvious reasons and at times he even creeped me out but even so I could feel myself liking him, falling for his charm. Even when my mind would tell me I was nuts for liking this character I still kept liking him and the feelings just grew. He's a man with a past that isn't to good. He's mysterious, kind, even tender yet he has darkness to him. God, he's just one of those characters you love to hate. But you don't really hate even though in the back of your mind you know you should hate. Does that make sense?

Like Naomi I found myself getting attached to her kidnappers. I couldn't really find anything about Evelyn to hate. Yeah, she was holding Naomi agaisnt her will but god Michelle made it so difficult to hate these people. Eric was the only one who I really could dislike at times and even then there were things about him that made me feel sorry for him. I loved how Michelle created these characters who you should dislike while reading yet the reader themselves was experiencing their own bit of Stockholm syndrome.

I'm sitting here trying to find the right words to say about this book and I'm finding that difficult because of how beautifully this book was written. There is no way my words could describe to you just how amazing this book is. Michelle Davidson Argyle has a way with words. With every page the writing got better and better and I couldn't stop reading. Even when I had to stop reading despite not wanting to the book was in my head. I kept wondering what the outcome would be. I definitely look forward to reading many more books by this author.

I found it really interesting that Michelle gave us some insight into Naomi's mother. I haven't read a single book that has done this and I really enjoyed that. It allowed me to see how her mother was handling it and how things weren't the way Naomi thought they were. Maybe her mom wasn't around much but that didn't mean she didn't love her. It was a nice touch to this book. 

Though so many horrible kidnappings happen everyday and are no way near like the way Naomi's kidnappers treated her I feel like in some ways being kidnapped was a blessing in disguise. Being taken away from her life allowed her to reevaluate certain things and see how some of the things in her life could have gotten worse--like with Brad for instance. It gave her time to realize and understand things about her relationship with her mother that she never would have if not for being taken away.

The Breakaway was such a captivating read from page one but I did feel that the ending dragged on a bit to long for my taste which is why it's getting 4.5 out of 5 birds. Don't get me wrong I liked the ending but I just felt it lasted a bit to long. I loved the book none the less and would recommend it to anyone in a heart beat! It's a fantastic contempary read and Michelle Davidson Argyle has such a way with words.






~~Thanks to Xpresso Book Tour for a copy of this book!~~









3 comments:

  1. Hmmm sounds cool! I like a charming male lead. :)

    Coming across your blog for the first time--love that you use birds for your ratings. Now following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* Thank you for joining the Pieces blog tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really got to get my hands on this one. Your's is the second stop I've been too, and now I'm even more convinced that I'll love reading The Breakaway. The whole concept intrigues me. I want to understand myself, how Naomi starts having feelings for her captors. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete