Dec 2, 2012

Marked For Vengenace

Marked For Vengenace wasn't a book I knew anything about until approached by the author to review it. I though the story sounded intriguing so I said yes. Honestly though...while reading this book it never fully had my attention.

Summary from Goodreads:

Alyx Rayer’s existence in Atlanta, the eternally bustling capital of Georgia, is one of routine and blending in among the worker bees. But her ‘normal’ life is actually a fa├žade for a higher calling; she's a three hundred year old soul, encased in a human vessel and sent from the darkness between heaven and Earth to capture her Marked when summoned by her superiors.

During the initial, routine stake-out of her Marked, a dream prophet named Isaac Walsh, Alyx is thrown for an emotional loop when his allure captivates her heart from two rooftops away. The event marks the very instance when her sense of what’s right and what’s wrong is brutally challenged as her contact with him is strictly forbidden.

While already trapped between honor and desire, her emotional struggles are further challenged by a man in a black suit who continually pops up when she least expects it, his presence evoking a strange response from the scar she was branded with at birth. The scar tingles like a warning beacon, alerting her that something is amiss. Because her superiors never told her what this would mean, or much of anything except what to do when they summon, she can only conclude to try and keep her sanity, and her life, from completely shattering to pieces.

This engaging first book of the series is a Paranormal Romance novel interlaced with twists, turns, and thrilling suspense that is sure to satisfy readers of any genre.


Alyk is sent to earth to protect her Marked who happens to be a man she can't seem to get out of her  head. The thing is once she fullfills her duty this is the last time she will ever be a human.

This book had a lot of promise. It seemed like it was going to be interesting and unique, but for me I didn't receive that while reading. When I first started the book I was intrigued and kept on reading but the more I read in the back of my mind I knew that I was getting bored and fading fast. I really had to force myself to sit down and read it. I am not a fan of writing reviews about a book that wasn't particularly for me. I feel like a complete jerk when I do but I have to give my honest opinion and this book just wasn't anything I could finish reading.

While reading Marked For Venegence I couldn't connect with any of the characters. I thought in the beginning that I liked Alyk but then I just didn't understand her. There was just nothing there to grasp on to. What I couldn't understand is if this was her third time doing this why did she seem so amateur about things? I think Alyk could have been a really fantastic character if she would have been built a little bit better and didn't seem so clueless about things. Same goes for the rest of the characters. I didn't feel any connection with Issac either.

S. J Pierce had a great idea with this book and it was obvious she could write. She was very good at creating details that became clear in you're head. I loved how she described how engrossed in his art Issac would get. But even though there were a few things that I liked the books slow pace and lacking well developed characters just couldn't keep me hooked.

Because of the fact I didn't finish this book there is a possible chance things picked up and I would have finally gotten to understand the characters. I don't know if that is true, but I just know this book wasn't for me.  Marked For Vengeance is a book full of promise but doesn't exceed what it could. Marked For Vengeance is getting 1 out of 5 birds for me. So keep in mind that just because I didn't really care for this book doesn't mean that you won't like it. You may connect with the characters and think the pace is perfect.


 ~~Thank you to S.J Pierce for providing me with a copy of this book!~~

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy this one. A good character connection is so important. I love the cover, but the premise doesn't really perk my interest. Even without your review, I don't think I'd read this one.

    ReplyDelete