Nov 21, 2012

Vaempires Blog Tour: Reviews



As part of Vaempires: Revolution blog tour hosted by Dark Mind Book Tours I'll be reviewing the prequel Vaempires: White Christmas and Vaempires: Revolution. Make sure to check out the rest of the blog tour at the tour hosts website! Here's a little bit about the author behind Vaempires: Revolution:



Thomas Winship lives in New York.  He currently serves as MBA Director for St. Thomas Aquinas College, where he also teaches courses in English Composition, Communications, and Business. Prior to this, he spent fifteen years working for a global pharmaceutical company, specializing in organizational development, talent management, and training. Tom writes in his spare time. His first novel, Temporary Insanity, was a 2008 finalist in a national contest but failed to garner industry attention. Væmpires: Revolution, his second novel (first in the Væmpires series) was published in October and Væmpires: White Christmas followed in December. He is an avid collector of books, comic books, music, and movies. His interests are diverse: on any given day, Tom is likely to be found watching a horror movie, attending a hard rock concert, or enjoying a Broadway show. He is currently working on the next installment of the “Væmpires” series, which is scheduled for a 2013 release. You can find Thomas on his website, Facebook, Twitter YouTube and on Goodreads!



Vampires: White Christmas was not a book I knew about until I signed up for it's blog tour. It sounded like a good book and after reading it I'm glad that I did decide to sign up for the tour because this was a really great read!

Summary from Goodreads:

It’s almost Christmas. With the global holiday days away, the people of the world should be turning their attention toward celebrating peace and goodwill, but tension between humans, vampires, and væmpires is at an all-time high. Desperate for solutions, King Brant schedules a secret summit deep in North America’s Northern Forest. Along with Queen Anne, Princess Cassandra, Daniel’s family, and the human President and First Lady, the vampire leader seeks to reaffirm the ties between humans and vampires, while brainstorming ways to respond to the growing hostility among væmpires.

Meanwhile, Daniel and Cassie’s relationship is at an all-time low. The princess is still reeling from her breakup with Vielyn, and Daniel doesn’t know what he should or shouldn’t do to help. Little does he know that the summit will be flooded with surprises—guests, allegations, accusations, proposals, and even Christmas Eve revelations—but not all of the surprises will be pleasant.



Vaempires: White Christmas is the prequel to Vaempires: Revolution. It allows readers to get some insight to the great character they know from the first book in the series.

I haven't yet read Vaempires: Revolution and I loved this prequel. I loved it's characters especially Daniel. I'm usually pretty hesitant to read books from the male point of view because their voices tend to be very different but I gotta say I really loved Daniel and his narration. He's a really likable character and I loved how tongue tied and flustered he got around Cassie. I personally can relate to that blathering like an idiot when you're around someone you really like. It was hilarious the things he said when he was around Cassie. The dialog not just Daniel's was so so enjoyable. It's what made the book an even more easy and enjoyable read.

Cassie was another great character. I liked her right of the bat. I admired how she spoke up when belittled. Some view her as nothing but a young princess with not a clue in politics. I loved how she took charge and showed she isn't just some naive teen princess.

Daniel's friends Linq and Ray are two characters I hope to see more of in Vaempires: Revolution. I loved them! They both made me laugh. Honestly this book was full of really great and well developed characters that I look forward to seeing more of.

The way this prequel ended definitely made me want to pick up Vaempires: Revolution right away. It wasn't a cliff-hanger per-say but it was just one of those endings where you gotta know what happens next. I don't want to give any of the plot away but I was surprised by what the secret package was. Not what I expected at all. Loved what was inside of it though!

Vaempires: White Christmas was a quick and enjoyable read. It's characters were all very well created and likable. I'm giving Vaempires: White Christmas 4 out of 5 birds. I think anyone who loves a book with inserting plot and dystopian like setting will enjoy this one. I know I did and Thomas Winship's writing instantly captivates. I'm excited to start Vaempires: Revolution!




After finishing Vaempires: White Christmas I wanted to read Vaempires: Revolution as soon as I could. That ending was just one of those endings that made you need to know what was going to happen next.

Summary from Goodreads:

It is the morning of Princess Cassandra’s sixteenth birthday. Everyone’s attention is focused on the heir to the vampire throne. World leaders, the rich and famous, and VIPs from every corner of the globe have gathered in the nation’s capital to celebrate the momentous event.

Cassandra’s boyfriend, Daniel, is late for the party. He’s still outside the city when all hell breaks loose. What he believes is an act of terrorism proves to be a full-fledged revolution. Væmpires—former vampires who mutated into warm-blooded creatures with an insatiable hunger for cold blood—have launched coordinated attacks across the globe, with three goals: the eradication of humanity, the enslavement of vampires, and the ascension of væmpires as the dominant species on the planet.

The vampire and human leaders are killed. Cassandra is missing. Daniel is the acting king. Desperate to find the princess, Daniel and his friends fight their way across the besieged city. With the hopes of the free world resting on the shoulders of four vampire teenagers, væmpires unleash their secret weapons—væmpires with special powers.

What can four teens do against an enemy that can shape-shift, fly, or walk through walls?



They we're once living in peace and now a war has broke out. It's up to Daniel to save his people. Kind of a lot of pressure for a fifteen year old eh?

Where do I even begin. This book starts with action and never stops for a moment to take a deep breath. Though I love books that don't hesitate to dive into the action I felt that this one did it a bit to soon. I was confused throughout the first chapter trying to figure out what was going on. After a bit I got my bearings and put two and two together but the first chapter didn't hook me like I would have liked because of the confusion. That being said by time chapter two came around I had things figured out. I just needed to take a moment to process what was happening. A lot happens in that first chapter.

This book is quite different from the prequel. It's characters, the writing, setting, everything just has a different feel. Daniel isn't the sweet, tender, caring fifteen year old anymore. Those things still apply to him yes but other things take dominance in this book the biggest I noticed was his strength. It's hinted in White Christmas that Daniel is a strong young man he's tall and broad shouldered, but we don't really get a glimpse of it in the prequel. This book though shows exactly just how strong Daniel is and what drives him. He's forced to grow up really. It was great to watch Daniel's character development.

I was surprised when Cassie got chapters from her own perspective. It was a nice surprise. Since I wasn't expecting it I think that's what made it even better. It was great to get to see things from Cassie's stand point. Sometimes this can be a good thing for books while others you think it might have been better with just the one perspective. Vaempires: Revolution is a good thing. I really liked Cassie in the prequel and that doesn't change with this book. All the characters that I grew to like with in those short ten chapters I got to love even more in this book, one of them being Cassie. Cassie proves her own strength in this book. She may be a princess but that doesn't mean she can't kick butt.

Considering this is a vampire book--a unique one at that might I just add I should have known that it would be kind of bloody right? But after reading White Christmas that completely lacked blood and guts I just wasn't expecting the action and gore that is present in this book. Now I'm not saying that it's a bad change because the action keeps you on your toes and one moment your holding your breath while the other your silently thinking "Yes! Way to kick butt Daniel!" Still I was a bit surprised by that. Which come to think of it I think a lot of this book surprised me and pretty much all in the good sense.

Thomas Winship has a way of writing that grips you and doesn't let go until you've read every word. Full of action, unique twists about vampires and mutated vaempires and an ending that will make you instantly want the third book Vaempires: Revolution is a book that all with enjoy. It's full of amazing characters that you can't help but get attached to and cheer on, especially the romance between Daniel and Cassie. I'm giving this book 4 out of 5 birds. Just when you think vampires can't have any more room in the already bulging box of stories Thomas Winship comes sauntering in and tosses Vaempires: Revolution into the batch proving that yes there are indeed still some interesting and unique stories out there that revolve around vampires.









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the amazing reviews, Bailey. I'm glad you enjoyed vaempires.

    ReplyDelete