Nov 19, 2012

The List

I'd known for a while that I wanted to read The List by Siobhan Vivian but never got around to reading it. It wasn't until finishing Not That Kind Of Girl that I knew I wanted to read The List right away and I'm so glad  I did because I really enjoyed this book and can't get over how great Siobhan Vivian is at creating such a real and authentic setting.

Summary from Goodreads:

An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two.


The List is about eight girls who have been deemed prettiest and others ugliest by this traditional list that is posted on every surface of their high school. It's a tradition that causes trouble for both the ugliest and prettiest girls.

The List is so different from anything I've ever read. Though it is a high school contemporary Siobhan Vivian manages to make this book stand out in it's genre. The more of her work I read the more I see just how talented this author is. You have all these different perspectives and at first it was difficult to remember who was who but by chapter five I started to get everyone straight in my head without having to refer to the list that is plastered on the page after the Prologue.I loved that this was in the book it gave a really nice touch.

Abby wasn't my favorite character in The List I felt she was kind of bratty at times. She grew up a bit towards the end of the book and I liked her a little bit more. But there just wasn't any connection to this character like there was with others. Abby is very into clothes, makeup and especially eager to go to the homecoming dance. I didn't feel there was to much to Abby that I could relate with. I did like how her relationship with her sister progressed. That was interesting to watch develop and grow. But aside from that I just wasn't feeling it with this character.

Danielle was one of those characters who I could connect with. She was my favorite perspective. I just loved reading about Danielle. From her first chapter I really liked her and was always eager to read more chapters about her and how she was going to deal with the list. Danielle is very sporty and she's a fantastic swimmer. I really hated how Danielle's boyfriend Andrew handled the news about the list. I thought maybe he'd man up about things but...Andrew just turned out to be a jerk. I felt bad for Danielle but I'm glad she did what she did. She handled the list and the things that came with it well in my opinion.

Lauren is the new girl and this is her first time in high school. She's been home schooled her whole life so when she ends up on the list...she's surprised. But she isn't angry about it. She enjoys the popularity and friends that comes with it. Lauren is that overly nice character. She's nice to the one girl who hates her guts and she continues to be nice to her. Like with Abby I didn't really connect with this character but I felt her story was interesting.

Candace the girl who's beautiful on the outside but not so much on the inside. Candace though she is a real witch at times I gotta give her credit for being brutally honest. Though mean at times I did like Candace and her honesty. I loved watching this character from start to finish and how she changed and she did change. It was a nice character development.

Bridget is girl with a serious problem. The way Siobhan Vivian wrote this character was brutally honest. She didn't hold back on anything and I loved that about the way she created Bridget. Though hard to read at times it was interesting to be able to read about a character like Bridget and the honesty that shined through Siobhan's writing. Bridget doesn't get the kind of ending most probably want...but I feel Siobhan was just being honest again. Most people like Bridget battle this for the rest of their lives and Siobhan hints at the same fate with Bridget.

Sarah is the girl who makes it her mission not to be like all the other girls. Sarah was another character who I really liked. I didn't like her self destructive way of handling the list but it was really interesting watching Sarah change. She's a very stubborn character who doesn't let people in easily. I loved reading about Sarah's relationship with Milo. She pushes him away so much and I just wanted to yell at her. She was so blinded by the list and what it said about her she couldn't see the great guy in front of her. Not once did he stop caring about Sarah and Milo was just so sweet. I really loved him.

Margo and Jennifer. I feel like I can't talk about these two without spoiling something about their stories. But what I will say is I didn't particularity connect with these two characters. Jennifer by the end of it I just didn't like. Margo I liked a little more than Jennifer but she wasn't a character who's chapters I was real eager to read like with others.

The way this book ends is very unresolved and to me shocking. I never expected that to be revealed about the list but I really liked it. It seemed to be perfect. I had some theories about the list but none that ended up happening. But back to the way this book was unresolved. None of the stories are wrapped up, not really. They are just left with no ending really. With that being said I don't see how this book could have ended any other way if you think about it. The way The List ends is how it was supposed to end. And I applaud Siobhan Vivian for ending it the way she did. With any other book I would be freaking out that things were left like that but not with this one. That last line was just amazing and perfect.

Again Siobhan Vivian proves she's a no BS writer. She writes with raw emotion and honesty. The List is such a honest book and every girl needs to read it. Young or old read it. It's just so good and it shows just how being called ugly or pretty can affect a girl. The List is getting 4.5 out of 5 birds from me. Anyone who loves contemporary will love this book. I'd recommend it in a heart beat.








2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, hun! I have had a copy of this for a while but still am yet to read it. I'm glad so many POVs worked and I really want to get to know your faves, Danielle and Sarah

    ReplyDelete

  2. I love the cover for this one. It seems very reflective of the story. I had a feeling I'd be seeing a review for this one soon ;) Great review! I'm loving the sound of this one. The concept of this uglies vs. pretties list really opens up the possibilities and routes this story could take. Although the multiple POVS worked for you, I'm a bit nervous. I tend to like books less with so many POVS because I end up liking one or more over another and then dread when it switches back and forth. I'm a little confused about the unresolved part. Are you saying the way it was unresolved was great? Lol!

    ReplyDelete